New DIY show

Page 2 of 2

What is the name of the show?

I'm not sure I like the implication I'm reading. Whatever "movement" you're referring to means nothing to me, and I'm not suggesting she's good or not. I'm only saying that IF she is, I couldn't care less who or what she is.

I'm trying not to be judgemental. Why does anybody give a hoot if the host is male or female?

host
There's a number of reasons why it makes a big difference, all depending on the target market. That's an aside from the proven fact that attractive people are more popular (whatever education she has). Only thing that will cement her position though will be sufficient demonstration of craft skills.
wrote in message

OK, can you name some reasons? I'm not being sarcastic, but I do fail to see why this is even an issue.

I'm kind of surprised you're asking this question, but anyway, here's my thoughts on it.
1) Guys will watch (in the beginning), naturally because of sexual interest. (Some girls too) 2) They will also watch to see if she has any real woodworking skills. (which would make her even more attractive) Let's not talk about the chauvinists who think a woman has only a few purposes. 3) Women will watch because it empowers them to be independent and just as capable. If not, then at the very least women will watch because it pleases them to see a woman do something just as well as a man, if not better, especially in an area that so far is mostly a man's domain. 4) A woman is generally less intimidating if you're learning or thinking of learning how to do something. 5) There's the uniqueness of a woman doing skilled woodworking. More woman are getting into it, but there's a long way to go before they even start to approach this "male" domain.
Of course, there's downsides to using a woman. If she's not as skilled as people hope, she will lose credibility faster than any man. Or some male egos will kicks in and say that there's no way a woman can be as capable. But, I regress....
Those are just some of my thoughts as to why I think it makes a difference. I'm sure you get the idea. If I had my preference, I'd rather be looking at a good looking woman all day, than some man doing the same thing, but that preference would is easily outweighed by my wanting that person to be skilled in what they're doing and able to hold my attention with presence, presentation and being able to teach me something that I can apply in the real world.
If I had my preference, I'd rather be looking at

What really counts is what females think of "their" males watching another female. Even if the other were a skilled practitioner, she would still be viewed as a potential competitor. Why I think the show was set up for female viewing. Including a male as a regular might broaden the demographic.
When I was given a desk to fly, I also had a number of females to work with. Had little problem with the male/female interaction on the job, but quite a bit with wives not trusting their husbands.

with.
Isn't that a hereditary trait?
wrote in message

I see why you might be surprised, but when I watched the show, I wasn't paying attention to the host, I was paying attention to the shop, the project and the host's skills as a woodworker. To be honest, I can barely even remember what she looks like. The reasons you state below all have to do with ratings and a network's choice of a host to attract viewers. I looked at the program as a new woodworking show -- nothing more. What I'm surprised about is why anyone is reading into it more than what I've stated here. If one is interested in watching a pretty woman, there are many better shows to watch than a DIY program, wouldn't you agree?
To this end, I've been watching that New Yankee for many years now. Despite the fact that I (and many women too -- including my wife) think he's got a VERY long way to go in the looks department, I never once considered his physical attributes to be any factor in my watching the show.
So I would submit that anyone who cares about the fact that this new host is a woman must have more interests than simply the content of the program. What do you think?

No, not if one want's to combine it with a passion such as woodworking. We are all sexual beings. It's hardwired into us. Sexual attraction is always in the background whether it's expressed or not. If you're really into woodworking, what could be more attractive than a mate who is into it (and you) just as much as you are. That's the desire, the fantasy.

is
Of course. Those interests can just as easily be subconscious desires as conscious ones. It's built into us as a species.
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:05:52 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the weird patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in the near future.

Ah, you must be well married. ;)

Quite true.

Guilty as charged. <domg>
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has to find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.
wrote in message

I watched her show yesterday too. She really has a nice set of implants.
When is the show on
wrote in message

DIY @ 11:30 or 12 central time I can't remember which.
wrote in message

weird
Right David Marks Saturday show here - 10:30 CST

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:47:04 -0500, George Shouse
^ after

Dave wrote:

are you talking about Amy Devers?
Dave