New DeWalt Circular Saw (Festool clone???)

I'm not so sure that the margins are all that great to Festool. They actually allow their dealers to make a buck. Not a bad thing... up to a point.
rrrrrrrrr

Now that would be refreshing. I haven't heard of a dealer of mass produced goods making a decent profit in a long time. If it's true, good for Festool.
And if their tools are a great quality as well it seems like it could be a win/win as everybody gets what they want.
I can see me buying the Rotex in the future, but one of my Milwaukees or Bosch sanders will have to die. I'm betting on the Bosch 5" ROS giving up the ghost first, but it is an old Swiss model I got from CPO Bosch when the closed them out. Life span is unknown.
BTW, last year I also got their last Swiss made Bosch half sheet sander. It was delivered to the door for under $200 as a closeout.
I also have a 3 hp ELU/DeWalt Swiss made router.
Unfortunately, my Metabo 6" ROS (you could stand in it and not bog it down and the dust collection was superb) was stolen from me a couple of years ago (providing the reason to purchase the Bosch 5") so that was that.
Hey... wait a minute. What am I doing with all these Eurotools? Crap...
Don't tell Leon... I couldn't tease him with a straight face...
;^)
Robert

Psssst... you still need this one: (watch the wrap)
http://www.specialtytools.com/product_info.php?cPath=4109_4110_4111&products_id=12727

Oh man.... now that rollup compact fence really makes that look interesting. I have never seen anything like that. The additional portability could add a world of utility to that saw system. Just think, no rails to protect from bending, chipping, or having the indians throw them in the back of the truck.
That system looks like it could be a winner.
Damnit.
Robert
Robatoy wrote:

http://www.specialtytools.com/product_info.php?cPathA09_4110_4111&products_id 727
Finally, a tool designed for ripping the 2 x's you get from the Borgs!
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Isn't that the truth. But the word is out around here, the older, more established lumber yards have recovered from HD's initial onslaught. Better product, for not a whole more money.
Robatoy wrote:

Sometimes, less. Delivery included, to boot! <G>

I just had this conversation in depth with the president/owner of a large local electrical supply house we deal with regularly. They have been a quality supplier in the same location since 1934. He spoke frustratingly to the fact of having very few options over and above the BB's anymore. His large accounts are complaining and some are taking to billing him directly for lost time caused by the reduction in quality. We talked of the time when he could sell you the same junk you could buy at the BB's, or a far better product for those who wanted quality. Now in many cases there is just no choice.
I highly doubt they will ever recover completely. Just ask the owner or president of your local lumberyard for a few minutes of their day and pose the question(s) to them directly. Unless your locale is very unique I would say their bottom line clearly reflects the long term damage these places have done. I have yet to speak with a supplier who hasnt brought it up. It will likely take several decades to recover if there will even be a complete recovery. The entire landscape of the industry has been changed. Manufacturers have completely adjusted/re- tooled, changing back will not be easy especially with the vast majority of the consumers drunk on cheap goods. Simple availability of quality materials and products is much more scarce now as the demand from the masses simply vaporized. We have been facing this on an almost daily basis for a good 15 years. You just cant put your hands on the variety of items and materials as easy as you used to. This is what all of us "chicken littles" were squaking about 10-15 years ago.
Our main lumberyard has been fighting the quality fight and losing, and they continue to do so(lose that is). The owner of that company has stated to me many times that merely the damage an unrelated business like Walmart has done to the marketplace reaches far into his buisiness. Its is a clear case where, driven by the consumer, free market capitalism can be a very bad thing. My feeing is we have yet to see the tip of the iceburg with regards to the long term consequences of Walmart, BB's, and the like.
Situations like these are why, in politics, we have the electoral college. The founders knew that the masses cant always be trusted to make the best decisions and they wanted a back door saftey net.
Mark
[...]
I have to say that location has a little to do with survival however how well the lumber yard and or hardware store is run will factor in also. Outside the SW Houston city limits but in 2 different small cities that border the Houston city limit line there are 2 separate small businesses, one a lumber yard and the other an old fashioned service but modern hardware store that are thriving and growing. They were around long before the Borgs began to show up in Houston 20+ years ago. They are closed on Sundays. always busy, expanding, and more importantly cheaper that the Borgs for the exact same manufactured hardware item or tool. The lumber yard is a bit more expensive on lumber but their lumber is "good" lumber. There are 4 Borgs within 15 minutes of both of those small businesses.