New Delta X5 14" Band Saw - Too Much Vibration?

Yeah, that's cool. "Purrs like a sewing machine" just doesn't have the feel of "purrs like a kitten" does it?

David wrote:

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

How about, "purrs like a diesel engine at 1100 RPM" That has a nice ring to it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

============= If it Purs like a sewing machine you can bet there is a high compression V8 under the hood that has solid lifters...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Solid, how about roller lifters.

Reply to
Leon

these may be regional, but "sweat like a pig" (illogical as it is) is a pretty common saying around here, as is the comparison of a smooth running mechanism to a sewing machine....

Reply to
bridger

======================================== No... roller lifters do not give you that tap tap tap sound.... (sewing machine sound)...... lol Of course gear drive sounds nice to my ears also...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I think it stinks ;}

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

No question that some sayings are common or rather, several people use them, in some specific regions. I guess the definition of common may be a part of the problem. Common in my mind means used by many people in various regions, more like "national" common. Yep we have one of those stupidities and it is "barrow pit" meaning the drainage ditch along side a road as in, "he drove into the barrow pit." But it is pretty regional and tho heard from time to time is not really common. Thank God, because anyone with a mind know that a pit is a different shape from a ditch and the ditch has nothing to do with barrow but is simply dug for drainage.

Damn, I am glad that I don't live in a place where "sweat like a pig" and "smooth as a sewing machine" are common sayings. That might just be the tip of the iceberg of nonsense that the people in those regions believe. How many of those people believe in a flat earth? BTW, never could figure that, since a look over the prairie or at the ocean horizon "should" dispel that nonsense even for a cave man.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Of course, that proves only that you can see as far in any direction. Look to the earth's shadow on the moon, as the Greeks did, and you will see that it must be a _sphere_.

Oh yes, it's sweat like a pig and piss like a racehorse.

Reply to
George

Huh? The horizon is curved, and if you climb a tree or a mast and watch approaching or leaving ships, horses, etc., you can figure out that the surface curve down from where you stand.

Look

That's good if you figure out that the shadow is of the earth, otherwise you might think it is the hand of god.

Piss like a racehorse is common. Sweat like a pig just indicates a persons ignorance. How about sweat like a bee? Piss like a tree? Quiet as a tornado? Humble as a bear? Fast as a sloth?

I give up sweat like a pig is a really good saying because it fully describes a sweaty job. Not.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

it's like "shit eating grin". very evocative, perhaps BECAUSE it's illogical.

Reply to
bridger

: >>

: : : : it's like "shit eating grin". very evocative, perhaps BECAUSE it's : illogical.

I guess you don't have dogs.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Isn't _that_ the truth!

Reply to
George

ROTFL ... I was thinking the same thing myself.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't think that "pig" is meant to be taken literally.

Reply to
GregP

I believe the phrase refers to slag falling off a "pig" of metal.

Reply to
George

I think it is simply a mistake made by persons that can't think of the correct animal.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon