New Delta TS at Home Depot

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone else seen this? One of the local HD's just put it out for display a few weeks ago. I wish I could remember the model# now, and I don't see it on the HD website. It's a contractor's saw for $529 and has a cast iron top, stamped wings, 1 1/2HP. It seems to be a pretty solid machine for the price.
Anyway, just got a bunch of Home Depot gift cards between Christmas and my recent engagement, enough to put a serious dent in the price of a saw. Miraculously, my fiance's going to let me spend it on tools, so I can't let this opportunity slip away! She'll probably find organization stuff next time she goes in, can't let that happen.
I had intended to get the Rigid at first, and I've read good things about it, but my only concern is availability of parts and accessories. Any advice on this one, are the concerns with the Rigid valid? I know there are some better saws for just a little bit more, but with the gift card situation, it would end up costing me a whole lot more to get the Grizzly or Jet somewhere else.
By the way, I think this group is great, I've been lurking for a while now. A lot of intelligent, reasonable people on here and good discussions. I really thought everybody needed just one more table saw thread, though:-)
Jon
I would buy a Delta over the Ridgid in a heartbeat, for the parts availability reason more than anything else. Delta has been real good to me for many years both in tool reliability and spare parts. The Ridgid name is now owned by Home Depot, but I hear that Emerson Tool isn't making them any more. When Sears dropped Emerson as their supplier of saws I discovered that I suddenly couldn't get some of the parts that I needed for my Craftsman RAS, not from Sears nor Emerson Tool. I would expect the same thing to happen with Ridgid tools that were made by Emerson that Home Depot used to sell. Is Home Depot going to stock parts for all of these tools for the next 20-40 years? I think not.
This is just my opinion. You can do what you want.
--
Charley

"Jon Shelley" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
Seems Emerson stopped making Ridgid, (a year ago?) time sure gets away from me anymore.
Do you think Black & Decker is going to continue to offer parts for older Delta machinery? Don't bet the farm.

it
top,
my
about
Jon, your gonna hear a few thousand reasons why Delta over Ridgid, so take it for what it's worth. I've had my Ridgid TS for about 6 years now and haven't had a lick of trouble with it, except... I bought a link belt kit and put on it. IMO, the worst move I made, ( hmmm, I thought my Ronco Popeil Pocket Fisherman was). That has nothing to do with Ridgid. I've also got a few other tools and a sump pump with the Ridgid brand on them and have no complaints at all. The only complaint I do have is that you can't order woodworking tool things <read accessories> off the internet. You call the 800 number and you can order you heart out. Dunno why. So, take it from here peoples!

display a

on
price.
let
time
it,
on
better
would
else.
now. A

really
Bullwinkle J. Moose wrote:

Would you expand on this? I've got a Ridgid TS2424 that I'm quite happy with and have tricked out with a router table bolted onto one wing and an overtable dust collector / guard. I've thought about adding a link belt to it because people have said it made things just that much smoother. What problems did you run into?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf

Sometime during the past year the company that makes Rigid, and some other brands, was sold to, and maybe even moved to, China. I forget where I read that but it might have been Business Week.

No sale really. Production of Ridgid power tools was shifted from Emerson to Techtronics, parent of Ryobi. Somehow, Home Depot and Techtronics license the Ridgid name for use on power tools.
Brian Elfert

Where'd you get your accessories from?
Jon
Jon Shelley wrote:

I'm not at home so I'm going from memory: I bought the bolt on router table at Woodcraft. It was made to replace the left wing of the table saw but since the TS2424 has those big heavy cast iron wings I thought it would hold the weight... and it does. I bolted on the extension to the wing instead of the central portion of the saw as the manufacturer intended. That made for a pretty nice increase in table size. The router table has a Mast-R-Lift router device with a PC 7518 router in it.
I built a fold down outfeed table from plywood which I laminated with melamine. The permanent portion is bolted to the saw and extends over the motor, then it is piano hinged for another three feet of extension or so.
Finally, I bought an overtable guard with integral dust collection from Penn State. They were having a sale and I got it for about $150 if I recall correctly. The only thing I would have done differently at this point is rather than secure it to the right wing of the saw, I'd have added on a good stiff outrigger and bolted it to that, preserving the space on the right side of the saw. As it is, the stock can't be any wider than the space from the blade to the outer edge of the wing.
I attack dust from both the top and bottom of the saw with a Penn State 1 micron 1.5 HP dust collector ($280) with the optional muffler ($80). It is absolutely amazing to me how very minimal cleanup I have to do now and the volume is low enough I can listen to music while I'm cutting wood.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
Sorry about that Mortimer. The problem I had with the link belt was IMO it wasn't as smooth as they claim to be. With the original belt, it would (and still does) pass the nickel test. With the link belt, it failed during start up. It also seemed to me, a lot noisier. After googling the group, I found discussions about it and someone said it may be on backwards. Well I turned it the other way and it was twice as noisy, and also failed the nickel test starting and spinning down. Maybe I just got a defective set??? Dunno, it's tucked away back in one of the cabinets out there. I may find a use for it somewhere else, or give it to SIL to put on his Craftsman, if it'll fit. I can't for the life of me remember where I ordered it from! And as they always say, YMMV.

Did you make sure the pulleys were precisely aligned when you installed your link belt?

Yup, sure did. That was one of the first things I did, and redid, and did a third time after reading. Thanks for the comeback though!

When you call the 800 number, I'm guessing they only sell Ridgid brand accessories, right? And are the prices inflated, due to lack of consumer choices? Seems like this would seriously limit what one could add to it. I don't have anything major in mind right now, other than a good miter gauge, but I'm not sure what kind of bells and whistles I'll want to add in the future.
Jon
Jon, as for the Ridgid brand, yes, that's all they sell. As for the prices being inflated, I would say they are about on the average. I ordered some molding head cutters for the kit I got as a present a couple years back, some factory cool blocks for the BS, a couple extra switch keys, (I'm still trying to figure out where I laid the original one from the OSS and why I even took it out to begin with), the mobile base for the BS, and just a fewother little odds and ends. As far as the miter gauge goes, I use the factory one very little and for 90 degree cuts only. I have an Incra 2000. Pretty awesome I might add. I'm not sure what kind of bells and whistles you could/would add to a table saw, other that what Mortimer did and a miter gauge and fence. Personally, I like the factory fence. I did have to do some tweaking to the fence when I first got it, but other than checking the alignments on everything every few months, things seem to be just fine. It's not mobile, so it stays in alignment good. If anything happened to it today, I'd replace it with another one. There again, that's this guy's opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose! But mostly be safe! Happy New Year to you and all of you guy's out there!
wrote:

take
Popeil
here
gauge,

OK, here's where I may have misunderstood some things that I had read in the Google archives. I was under the impression the miter slot on the Ridgid was a slightly different size than standard, and you couldn't use most of the aftermarket miter gauges and other store-bought jigs that use the miter slot. Is this not the case?

Right back at ya! Happy New Years to everyone!
Jon
Jon Shelley wrote:

That is not the case. I have an Incra 5000 mitersled that works just fine in the Ridgid slot. As far as I know it is completely standard.
It's been my experience that most of the negative stuff you read about Ridgid saws is all posted from folks who don't own one. Those of us who have one like them.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
I'll agree with Mort, may I call you Mort? All the negativity comes from non owners. Hell I know a couple guys that have cars and trucks other people wouldn't have because somebody told somebody else's brother in law, that told somebody's ex wife.......Well I think you get the point. Nay Sayers all. I like it, Mort likes his, and I'm sure there's quite a few other people that like theirs. As far as after market products, I've yet to find one that didn't fit my miter slot on the table saw or band saw. I've got a Delta tenoning jig that fits perfect. And yes, I do own a few Delta tools also. I'm not prejudice. I got Craftsman stuff, B&D stuff, even got a Jet DC. So, once again, don't _ALWAYS_ believe what your reading about things. Hope this helps.
wrote:

prices
still
2000.
the
was a

slot.
you
some
It's
today,

OK, I think you and Mortimer have convinced me to get the Ridgid. Thanks to everyone who replied for your insight.
Jon
Jon Shelley wrote:

I wasn't trying to convince you to buy it; just not to ignore it based on the writings of people who don't have one. I believe I've read where Charlie Self said he had one as well. Are there better contractor saws? Probably... I don't really know. All I do know is that I have no regrets buying this one.
And I forgot to mention it: I have a Delta tenoning jig that fits in the miter slot just fine as well.
Enjoy your saw, leave the shop with as many fingers as you entered with, and happy New Year.