New computer desk (pics)

I finally finished it! I started this sucker back around Christmas and have been anxious to get it done, mostly because my existing computer desk was such a POS (ten-year-old Walmart special that SWMBO had from her college days before we met). The top is 60" x 26". It's comprised of three separate pieces, two base cabinets and a desktop which sits aon top of them. I did it this way for easy mobility, and it definitely worked. I moved it from my shop in the garage to the office on the second floor all by myself.
The doors are inset and open 180 degrees to get out of the way of the sliding shelves inside. The wider cabinet houses the printer on one shelf and the scanner on another. The narrow cabinet houses the UPS, an external hard drive, and lots of CDs and books. I designed the desktop to include a long structural support which forms the top member of the face frames for the cabinets. There's another along the back, as well. Also, there's a keyboard tray connected directly to the bottom side of the desktop.
I'll probably eventually make a hutch or build some wall-hung shelves above it.
It makes the office look SO much better. The old one was much smaller, and the keyboard, mouse, and printer had to sit on top of the desk, taking up most of the little space that was there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcaron2/search/tags:computer+desk
The first pic is the old desk. I think I'll set it ablaze in the back yard this weekend just because I hate it so much. Of course, it's all glue and sawdust, so I doubt it would burn.
Josh
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:47:48 -0800, Josh wrote:

I'll be the first one to post then - nice work fella!!!
I'm going to have to make do with my MDF top sitting on crappy chipboard cupboards for the next 6 months or so (new workshop is first, then utility room overhaul then finally the office can be done).
Cheers,
--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2
Josh wrote:

Looks great, nice door fit. I trust the supervisor cat approved each step before you proceeded? :)
Josh wrote:

Nicely done.
I also recently made a computer desk, but my priorities were a bit different. Mine was designed to support 3 21" CRT monitors, while knocking down for transportation without having to undo any fasteners.
Chris
Very nice work, Josh... Good, clean lines show a lot of planning, with all the drawers, slides, etc....

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Thanks, everybody. SWMBO is very happy with it so I guess that's what counts.
jc