New computer desk (pics)

I finally finished it! I started this sucker back around Christmas and have been anxious to get it done, mostly because my existing computer desk was such a POS (ten-year-old Walmart special that SWMBO had from her college days before we met). The top is 60" x 26". It's comprised of three separate pieces, two base cabinets and a desktop which sits aon top of them. I did it this way for easy mobility, and it definitely worked. I moved it from my shop in the garage to the office on the second floor all by myself.

The doors are inset and open 180 degrees to get out of the way of the sliding shelves inside. The wider cabinet houses the printer on one shelf and the scanner on another. The narrow cabinet houses the UPS, an external hard drive, and lots of CDs and books. I designed the desktop to include a long structural support which forms the top member of the face frames for the cabinets. There's another along the back, as well. Also, there's a keyboard tray connected directly to the bottom side of the desktop.

I'll probably eventually make a hutch or build some wall-hung shelves above it.

It makes the office look SO much better. The old one was much smaller, and the keyboard, mouse, and printer had to sit on top of the desk, taking up most of the little space that was there.

first pic is the old desk. I think I'll set it ablaze in the back yard this weekend just because I hate it so much. Of course, it's all glue and sawdust, so I doubt it would burn.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

I'm going to have to make do with my MDF top sitting on crappy chipboard cupboards for the next 6 months or so (new workshop is first, then utility room overhaul then finally the office can be done).

Cheers,

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

Looks great, nice door fit. I trust the supervisor cat approved each step before you proceeded? :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Nicely done.

I also recently made a computer desk, but my priorities were a bit different. Mine was designed to support 3 21" CRT monitors, while knocking down for transportation without having to undo any fasteners.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Very nice work, Josh... Good, clean lines show a lot of planning, with all the drawers, slides, etc....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Thanks, everybody. SWMBO is very happy with it so I guess that's what counts.

jc

Reply to
Josh