New Civil War postage stamps

Page 6 of 6
"J. Clarke" wrote:

They wern't "forced", they could have chosen to fall on their swords.
Good grief, 150 years later, the "Civil War" is still being fought.
"States Rights" lost.
Give it up.
Lew
On 4/15/2011 12:33 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

that we have seceded from the United States, that makes us a separate sovereign nation? And if officials of the U.S. government act against me, they engage in war and conquest of a sovereign nation?
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Your wife and children and 1/3 acre of land do not constitute the governments of 11 states.
Sorry, but that analogy doesn't fly.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:05:13 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

"Treason doth not prosper, here's the reason" For if it prosper, none dare call it treason"
What was the difference between the southern states (not individuals) seceding and the colonists seceding from Britain?

Only one: the South lost the war.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war. The United States does and must assert its authority, wherever it once had power; for, if it relaxes one bit to pressure, it is gone, and I believe that such is the national feeling. This feeling assumes various shapes, but always comes back to that of Union. Once admit the Union, once more acknowledge the authority of the national Government, and, instead of devoting your houses and streets and roads to the dread uses of war, I and this army become at once your protectors and supporters, shielding you from danger, let it come from what quarter it may. I know that a few individuals cannot resist a torrent of error and passion, such as swept the South into rebellion, but you can point out, so that we may know those who desire a government, and those who insist on war and its desolation."
*****
"You have heretofore read public sentiment in your newspapers, that live by falsehood and excitement; and the quicker you seek for truth in other quarters, the better. I repeat then that, by the original compact of government, the United States had certain rights in Georgia, which have never been relinquished and never will be; that the South began the war by seizing forts, arsenals, mints, custom-houses, etc., etc., long before Mr. Lincoln was installed, and before the South had one jot or title of provocation. I myself have seen in Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi, hundreds and thousands of women and children fleeing from your armies and desperadoes, hungry and with bleeding feet. In Memphis, Vicksburg, and Mississippi, we fed thousands and thousands of the families of rebel soldiers left on our hands, and whom we could not see starve. Now that war comes to you, you feel very different. You deprecate its horrors, but did not feel them when you sent car-loads of soldiers and ammunition, and moulded shells and shot, to carry war into Kentucky and Tennessee, to desolate the homes of hundreds and thousands of good people who only asked to live in peace at their old homes, and under the Government of their inheritance. But these comparisons are idle. I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect an early success."
Excerpts from a letter to the Mayor and Councilmen of Atlanta 12 Sept. 1864 William Tecumseh Sherman

Yup!. And let's send that uppity O'Bama back to the cotton fields where he and the rest of his Cushite tribe belong. And let's give him a proper Christian name while we're at it instead of that pagan infidel one.
[Yes the above is sarcasm for those who don't get it]

LOL!

Bill wrote:

Around here, we call it "the recent unplesantness." Sometimes "our second war of independence."
But I know what you mean.
As an aside, there's an awful lot of gilding on the event. Often overlooked is the economic reason for the War of Northern Aggression. In 1860, cotton accounted for 40% of the country's exports. For the United States ?>to lose that source of revenue would be a tremendous burden for the North to bear.
I'm sure this factored in to some northerners' thinking.