New Civil War postage stamps

Page 3 of 6

No problems here in North Jersey (07410). If indeed mail does not get delivered although it is properly sent, it should (I think) be a case for the USPS police ... It's not as if Saratoga is somewhere in the wild west ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/18/2011 8:00 AM, Han wrote:

To my chagrin (right word?), my wife tipped our postal carrier $20 for Christmas, :O ! I explained that I thought $10 would have been "plenty" (yeah, I'm my dad's son...). It's hard, and surely not worth it, to control all of the "leaks"--especially after just buying a few new router bits. Our service is good and our mail arrives neatly wrapped up in our junk circulars, rather than just stuffed in the box. You might try that to see if it changes anything--besides the obvious of course.
Bill
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:52:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

I have trouble tipping someone who's already well paid for the job they do. I've never tipped our carrier but still get great service and she's always friendly.
I used to tip paperboys when they were still boys but I haven;t seen one of those in years. Our paper currently gets delivered by car with the radio going strong at 3AM :-).

says...

Personally I would prefer that the mail not be wrapped in the junk circulars. I have to go through all that crap to make sure that nothing important has been missed.
Hell, I'd prefer that the junk circulars go in a separate mailbox with no bottom and a trashcan under.
J. Clarke wrote the following:

I need junkmail. I burn branches and twigs in my yard and need the kindling.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

One can always pull it out of the trashcan under the mailbox :)
J. Clarke wrote the following:

what is not.. Right now I have 3 bags of shredded mail that I will use to start a fire in my burn pit. I'm just waiting for a good day to do it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I couldn't get the Postal Inspectors to investigate... they didn't even respond.
Considering that the mail all has the same exact addressing and comes from myriad sources (banks, financial, insurance, periodicals, fraternal organizations, schools, local govt and the usual junk) it's a mystery why I get mail every day but huge volumes of it never make it or come weeks or months late. The problem is upstream of the carrier and the local PO... it's at the sorting center(s). The latest "excuse" was the address isn't in the national 911 database. Funny... the 911 emergency services found it immediately and described the location exactly. To paraphrase somebody, "It's the PO stupid!" ...not directed at anyone but the system!
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Mail delivery dependent on 911?
So when you call the cops to report a drunken Freddy Kruger with a chain-saw, they'll send you a postcard with instructions?

Apparently.... that's one reason to dial 1911, as in 1911A1. There are 7 responders at that number. ;~)
The PO says that the National 911 data base is the reference for "real" addresses.... if it's not there it doesn't exist. Guess I should be lucky they don't think I'm dead!
There are photos of my house in a book by the city historian with a caption citing it's location at exactly the same address that the PO says doesn't exist though the PO has been delivering mail here for many decades. Endless BS with no resolution....
John

Time to contact your Comgressperson ...
--
Best regards
Han

Yup... already did that.... that's been going on for over a year now... We need to let the local PO folks fail before going higher. There time is up and it will be escalated soon.

Doesn't sound right. When the VA was messing with me, one of our Senators got it fixed in three days.

You are right, it isn't right. No accountability in the postal system.
I'm dealing with a Congressman.... PO gives them a song and dance and assure them it's all OK and when it fails again I go through the hoops again. This time should be the last hoop with the locals as it's supposed to be escalated this time.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

You are insufficiently creative. "Dear Congressman Sludgepump, have you recieved the check I wrote you three months ago? It has not cleared and I am concerned that the post office might have lost it."

Interesting approach... but I'd have to phrase it such that it was in regard to a check he sent me.... ;~)

Tried your Congress Critturs? I had very good luck with that when the VA was giving me the old soft shoe.

On 4/17/2011 2:34 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

has to make that money up on other places, one being commemorative stamps.
Just Wondering wrote:

mail one to me! : )

It's not a carrier problem.... they consolidated sorting centers and things went bad at that point. I've filed formal complaints repeatedly over time and have encouraged others to do so... trying to get others to file a formal complaint is like pulling teeth. The same pattern occurs every time. They talk to the carrier. We've told the carrier that we know it's not him (3 different regular ones involved over the years) but management is in denial that there is a systemic problem.
Yup, national defense was supposed to be the primary function and then Ben got the PO thing going. ;~)