New Civil War postage stamps

Page 2 of 6

Ever collect stamps, Bill? It's less about editorial content than completism.
A commemorative stamp is one other than regular postage*, though an argument could be made that a regular postage stamp bearing the picture of a past president, say, commemorates that individual or his years of service (?) to the country. In recent years, commemoratives have become a revenue generator -- if you collect full sheets of stamps picturing cars of the '50s but don't paste the stamps on letters, the post office gets the money, you get little bits of paper, and your bill payments don't get to your creditors <G>.
The commemorative state quarters were the same sort of revenue generator. I found about $600 worth of them in a drawer when I cleaned out Dad's house after his death. (I thoughtfully returned them to circulation, though.)
Oh, and you better cancel your subscription to Smithsonian Magazine -- the latest issue kicks off what will be four years' coverage of the (history of) Civil War. This IS about editorial content.
*Did you see the hoo-hah over the new "Statue of Liberty" forever stamp? Wrong statue... the photo was of the one in Las Vegas (a/k/a Lost Wages). Ironically, this may be a better representation of the current state of the US.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/15/2011 9:55 PM, Steve wrote:

Thurgood Marshall, Jr., whose late father was the first black to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court, visited Charleston Tuesday to unveil two new postage stamps commemorating the start of the Civil War. Marshall, a Washington lawyer who serves on the U.S. Postal Service’s board of governors, said he was honored to be back in Charleston to mark the 150th anniversary of the firing on Fort Sumter, "an event that we all know changed the course of our history." "Since the founding of our country, Americans have wrestled with fundamental questions about the scope of freedom," he said, "and we know that nothing short of our survival as a nation was at stake during the Civil War." Standing before the enlarged images of two stamps depicting Fort Sumter ablaze and the Battle of Bull Run in northern Virginia, Marshall said the stamps not only will help bind the country together but also celebrate the example that the United States offers every nation. "Today, many issues remain unresolved by this uniquely American war," he said, "yet one universal truth remains, and that is that we truly are one nation of free men and free women." http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/apr/12/marshall-dedicates-new-civil-war-commemorative-sta /
Add pictures here
βœ–
When I first saw this thread I wasn't sure it was about the coming war resulting from our leaders taking us into a bottomless pit of debt and decay, or the one that happened 150 years ago... ;~)
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Bill" wrote in message

Do you know what quotation marks are supposed to be used for? You seem to employ them almost at random.

Happily nobody has to justify an interest in history.

Nobody is required to buy a lottery ticket, nor are they required to buy a particular series of commemorative postage stamps, so the issue of their approval of govt. policy is raised only by your horror over them supposedly celebrating war:
"What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV."

You said you wouldn't be joining in the "celebrating" you apparently think others will be participating in by buying stamps, but if you now get the point that someone buying commemorative stamps isn't actually celebrating in the sense the word is generally used, well that's progress of a sort.

As the man said, war is hell, even the ones fought for a good cause.
Add pictures here
βœ–
DGDevin wrote:

I'm not a grammarian. I used them above because I was calling attentions to the fact that it was a "figure of speech"--not to be taken literally. According to Wikipedia:
punctuation marks at the beginning and end of a quotation, direct speech, literal title or name. Quotation marks can also be used to indicate another sense or meaning of words, phrases or parts of text by which one wants the reader to interpret the statement or text than the one initially suggested, such as to convey irony.
In that generality, I don't find I'm "coloring outside the lines". I used them to add my own emphasis sometimes. My usage may be more common in the sciences where we "stretch definitions" at our leisure, and emphasize when we are doing so. The thoughtful reader will figure out why the quotation marks are present.

I feel that if you give a youngster some of these postage stamps than you will have given them the *wrong* message. A little like giving them fast food to eat (that is almost-always unhealthy). I'm not planning to purchase any commemorative civil war stamps for my own collection or usage. And as you can tell, I've run my own campaign against them right here and gained further insight in the process. Thank you for listening and writing.
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–

The stamps *damn-near validate a crime against humanity (IMNSHO)*!!!
Maybe they will come out with a Charles Manson commemorative package, after he passes. Put some "fake LSD" on the back... ; )
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 01:15:06 -0400, Bill wrote:

And they say that southerners are passionate about that war :-).

βœ–
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It's too bad I'm not a mail carrier--I might mark some letters "Return To Sender", along with a diatribe about why I wouldn't deliver them. ; )
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–

Maybe that's why my mail service is TOTALLY BAD.... it's a conspiracy at the sorting center best I can tell.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Grossbohlin wrote:

You're not using those "LOVE" stamps, are you? ; )
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why? Do you think love is a crime against humanity, too? ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think it's all the magazines and catalogs with scary sharp stuff in them.... could be used to take over planes, trains, and buses you know.... Had the same problem when I was swapping mail and packages with folks on 2nd Amendment issues when I was in grad school... with the guys that built the cases that made it to SCOTUS. Ever receive packages that had clearly been submerged in water, or at a minimum been "damaged" in shipping? Mangled or lost computer disks, books, academic journals, VHS tapes... it was crazy. We laughed about it but it was annoying... Now it's a major pain as it involves all types of mail, not just packages.
What's that old tag line about "just because you are paranoid doesn't mean it isn't true." ;~)
It's happening at the sorting center!
John
Add pictures here
βœ–

Trust me, you have not seen bad mail service! In Portland Oregon the other day a mail carrier took a dump in some guy's side yard. Yes, really!
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Mailman-Suspended-for--119879359.html

βœ–

At least they get their mail.... ;~) I've got my Congressman's office involved as the PO was not doing anything to resolve the issue... 5 1/2 years now since the problems started.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–

Do you get junk mail?

βœ–

Yup... I get mail every day... but a large percentage of "real" mail never makes it at all or comes 1-13 months late... The USPS drove me to use the internet for any and all personal business possible because they are so unreliable... I didn't renew many of the 30+ subscriptions formerally coming each month as the periodicals were not arriving reliably. Every time I hear the USPS blame the internet for their financial woes I think they've got the causal direction reversed. I wish they'd fold the orgzanization up and let private industry take over. Private industry would be held accoutable... the USPS isn't held accountable for the crappy service.
BTW, I could name you a bunch of other people with similar problems, it's not just me. I'm not paranoid! LOL
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:32:19 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Some have crappy service others have great service. I'm in the latter group. Our carrier has been the same for over 20 years and she does a great job. You might be surprised at the results you get if you complain - unless you're the only person complaining.
Some things are better done by private industry, some by government. Way back before the tea party, a conservative politician in northern Illinois campaigned on the premise that the only things the feds should do was raise an army and deliver the mail :-).

βœ–

Bear in mind that there is no private company that can deliver a package the size of a first class letter for the price the postal service charges.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Likely because they're barred from delivering mail. Also note that the USPS can't deliver mail for the cost of a first class letter, either.
Add pictures here
βœ–
says...

In my case they don't deliver the mail period... they just "take" the postage and don't supply any service.... Thus, my mail delivery experience is like stamp collecting for them... collect money for nothing but a pretty picture.
Add pictures here
βœ–