New Civil War postage stamps

Page 1 of 6
What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.
Bill
On 4/12/2011 12:26 PM, Bill wrote:

Sorry, I forget to add: "OT". I just added it.
On 4/12/11 12:33 PM, Bill wrote:

too late, you must now go any and a Festool as your penalty. :-)
--
Froz...

On 4/12/11 12:57 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

/s/any and/and buy/
--
Froz...

On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it commemorates their sacrifice.
On 4/12/2011 1:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Commemorate:
(1) Recall and show respect for (someone or something) in a ceremony
(2) to serve as a memorial or reminder of:
(3) to make honorable mention of.
Which do you like? All 3 have too much solemnity for my taste. To my mind, and admittedly, I've read only 1 thick book on the subject, it was an atrocity.
Bill

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." A. Lincoln from the Gettysburg Address.
How do we "never forget", if we are not reminded?
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
On 4/12/2011 1:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Yep, a bunch of sacrifice which seems would not have been necessary, save for greed/hate.

Our Memorial Day in OZ is November 11 Remembrance Day Veterans Day Armistice Day Whatever you call it, it is for the remembrance of fallen soldiers and also for the celebration for the ones who returned of which there are not many left

Surely many from Korea and Viet Nam?
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Yes, but when they first began Remembrance Day on November 11, it was the Anniversary of Armistice Day in Europe after WW1

IIRC, there are none of them left in UK or USA. And the WWII bunch are going fast ...
"The lamps are going out ..."
George W Frost wrote the following:

Same here in the US. It was called Armistice Day in my youth. After WWII, it was changed to Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a separate holiday. It started in 1868 as Decoration Day and was to commemorate the soldiers on both sides of the US Civil War. After that, It included all soldiers of all wars.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 4/12/2011 2:00 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Nope, I didn't buy any. I have a hard time understanding people interest in "re-living" greed/hate through reenactment....or even postage stamps.
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:33:01 -0400, Bill wrote:

Just remember the hate was in the south, the greed was in the north.
In case you don't understand that:
1. The south was morally wrong to secede over slavery.
2. The north was legally wrong in stopping them.
Please note the "OT" added to the subject.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:33:07 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Except that slavery wasn't the reason, rather the excuse.
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:26:43 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Not an excuse but a diplomatic ploy to keep Great Britian from recognizing the CSA.
Mark
"Bill" wrote in message

You got it right up to that point.

There's a well-worn line about those who don't know their own history are doomed to repeat it. Studying the past is not reliving it or glorifying it or being amused by it. That you can't grasp that and instead insist that people are somehow expressing approval of war by buying historical commemorative postage stamps is quite odd.
DGDevin wrote:

I think you're "trying to put words in my mouth". However, I do find it odd that anyone would want to collect a postage stamp that commemorates the civil war--except in the case where he or she is in a position to view the civil war as a source of his or her "freedom".
I don't think the state should "sell lottery tickets" either, while forbidding businesses from doing so, but I don't "insist that the people who buy them are somehow expressing their approval" of this policy--and I don't view the people who buy stamps as expressing their approval of war (as you have suggested I must). Not only that, I would distinguish the American Civil War from others wars with other sovereign nations. Maybe time will suggest I should not. I hope so.
Bill