New cedar fence

Hi - making a new veggie garden fence for my DW. She's been putting up with me for all these years - she deserves a nice fence.

This is the style that she picked out:

'm gonna make it in cedar (pretty clear stock): mortise & tenon the ballusters into the rails, and mortise & tenon the rails into the posts. That'll take me some time but I've got the time, and I know how to do that.

Things I don't know:

1) Should I put glue in the mortises, or will the weather just bust the joints? 2) I need to add some fasteners. Should I nail through all mortises? Use what kind of nails (need to avoid stains)? I have nothing against those epoxy-coated deck screws, but they are very obvious.

BTW, the fence will be 224' perimeter. but, like I said, I have the time. Also, the posts will be slightly higher than shown in the pic: electrified fence to be added immediately after woodworking project is completed.

Comments welcome !!

Reply to
tom

I would use stainless steel nails finish nails to secure the pickets between the inner and outer bottom and top rails rails. Use a spacer to evenly separate and a jig to hold the pickets up until you secure them. Glue may cause a premature failure because of the swelling and shrinking.

Reply to
Leon