New blades for hand planes

Will probably be needing new blades for a couple planes. Have seen the info on the most common replacement blades and am wondering about the extra thickness of these blades. Seems I read somewhere that with some blades the mouth of the plane needs to be filed so the new blade fits. Don't want to do that. What blades are you using that fit the Stanley Bailey planes w/o modifying the plane? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul O.

Paul O asks:

Hock. Check

If you ahve any questions about whether or not they'll fit, email Ron. He's a nice guy and sells a helluva plane iron (and chip breakers and much else).

I know his irons fit Stanley Bailey planes because I had a couple of each, until my basement fire last year.

Charlie Self

G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.

JG

half-dozen of them myself. But there's also a blade out there called Samurai that's very good. It's a laminated blade and I'll swear it holds an edge even longer than the Hocks do. I'm not saying it's necessarily better, but it's another option. I've been using one for several years in my favorite Stanley, my type 17 #6.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Samurai blades rock. Too bad LVT does not stock them anymore. Glad I got two when they did. Found them on the internet with another retailer in the USA if more are needed.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

HOCK!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I have a Hock blade which is really good, but you should also consider Spehar blades. My next purchase will be one of theirs.

Ed

Ed G