New blades for hand planes

Will probably be needing new blades for a couple planes. Have seen the info on the most common replacement blades and am wondering about the extra thickness of these blades. Seems I read somewhere that with some blades the mouth of the plane needs to be filed so the new blade fits. Don't want to do that. What blades are you using that fit the Stanley Bailey planes w/o modifying the plane? Thanks.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Hock. Check www.hocktools.com. If you ahve any questions about whether or not they'll fit, email Ron. He's a nice guy and sells a helluva plane iron (and chip breakers and much else).
I know his irons fit Stanley Bailey planes because I had a couple of each, until my basement fire last year.
I agree wholeheartedly, have a lot of garage-sale planes with Hock blades. Woodcraft also sells his blades. They fit without filing and work well.

Paul O. wrote:

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm
-- John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Certainly can't disagree with the choice of a Hock; I have about a half-dozen of them myself. But there's also a blade out there called Samurai that's very good. It's a laminated blade and I'll swear it holds an edge even longer than the Hocks do. I'm not saying it's necessarily better, but it's another option. I've been using one for several years in my favorite Stanley, my type 17 #6.
Chuck Vance
Samurai blades rock. Too bad LVT does not stock them anymore. Glad I got two when they did. Found them on the internet with another retailer in the USA if more are needed.
--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is

HOCK!
Barry

Spehar blades. My next purchase will be one of theirs.
Ed
http://www.spehar-toolworks.com /