New Bandsaw Guides

Just got a Woodcraft flyer promoting the Carter bandsaw guides. Do they really make a difference on a 350.00 generic Taiwanese 14" bandsaw?

Reply to
BUB 209

I purchased a set of Carter guides for the Delta bandsaw at my workplace and was truly dissappointed with the results. When I received the guides, all I could think was this is what I get for $350? The machining on the guides was pretty rough while blade tracking really did not improve. I would not reccomend the Carter guides to anyone.

Reply to
Larry Schultz

I bought a set for my Jet 14". Tried it for a few days and then went back to the original cool blocks. On my saw, the height adjuster is ill fitting, meaning that I had to adjust the Carter bearings every time I raised or lowered the guides. Too much trouble. The cut that I got with the Carter guides was no better (and no worse) than the cut that I got with the cool blocks.

Reply to
Richards

I put them on a 30 year old Rockwell and I like them. I like everything I got from Iturri (larger knobs, better spring etc.) for my band saw

Reply to
Pat Payne

I doubt it. I upgraded my Axminster 350 from Cool Blocks to their own roller guides (I postedf a long review a while ago). Although roller guides are clearly a good thing, the machine wasn't designed for them and simple lack of space caused a lot of trouble with adjustments. I'm now running rollers on the top, where there's space, but Cool Blocks underneath.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bought myself a set of Carter's for Christmas for a 14" Jet. First you loose the micro adjusting knobs. Second they are quite noisy compared to cool blocks...even after adjusting with a dollar bill as a guage. I had just tuned up the saw, new tires, new 1/2" blade and adjusted according to mfg. directions. I sent them back and made some from oak....just my 2 cents. I am considering trying the roller blocks, they just replace the cool blocks, but you still get to keep the micro adjusting knobs..we shall see. Good luck and Healthy New Years!

Reply to
al martin

Just my opinion, but I think you would be better served by replacing the guide blocks with shop made wooden blocks. You can pinch the blade nicely without damaging it and the machine will track and cut better.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Sounds interesting. What kind of wood do you use? I have a lot of pieces of rosewood laying around.

Reply to
BUB 209

That would work. I soak mine in WD40 as well but that's optional. I personally hate posts where the responder says "see my web site", but I have written up my experience with them and I think you would learn more from reading that and looking at the pictures. So, here is the link to my web page (ack!) where I have posted what I did and learned from it.

Howard Ruttan

I ordered a set of roller from HF for my 14" HF saw. I like them and they were VERY inexpensive. A nice upgrade.

Reply to
Elmar