new band saw bearing froze up.

Damn crap they sell today. i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago. To me they are still new.

The bottom one froze, probably why I thought it wasn't cutting and was drifting.

After sharpening the blade, I went to put it back on and was setting the thrust bearing on the bottom to find it completely frozen.

The dust boots did little to stop the dust. I just popped the seals to find it completely packed with dust.

Much quicker than the originals.

Reply to
woodchucker

You might give bocabearings.com a look. I have only purchased model airplane bearings there, but they were way better than the originals. I see they carry tool bearings as well.

Reply to
Mike

Yep, I used to purchase model engine bearings from them too. Good idea, I was thinking of buying from Iturra, he's got a bearing with an O ring, We'll see.

Thanks.

Reply to
woodchucker

Might consider upgrading to ceramic. I "had" a new Rikon with roller bearings and while thr ides seems to make sense I was totally put off by the bearings performance. Sealed bearings or not dust is not good for them.

Reply to
Leon

To the rest of the world they are 2 years old. Should they have lasted? I don't know the environment you saw is in. Humid, covered with sawdust, they will go to crap in a hurry. If you are in a dry area and clean the saw well after every use, they probably should have lasted longer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dry and clean.

Reply to