new band saw bearing froze up.

Damn crap they sell today. i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago. To me they are still new.
The bottom one froze, probably why I thought it wasn't cutting and was drifting.
After sharpening the blade, I went to put it back on and was setting the thrust bearing on the bottom to find it completely frozen.
The dust boots did little to stop the dust. I just popped the seals to find it completely packed with dust.
Much quicker than the originals.
--
Jeff

On 3/21/2014 2:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:

You might give bocabearings.com a look. I have only purchased model airplane bearings there, but they were way better than the originals. I see they carry tool bearings as well.
On 3/21/2014 3:55 PM, Mike wrote:

Yep, I used to purchase model engine bearings from them too. Good idea, I was thinking of buying from Iturra, he's got a bearing with an O ring, We'll see.
Thanks.
--
Jeff

On 3/21/2014 1:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Might consider upgrading to ceramic. I "had" a new Rikon with roller bearings and while thr ides seems to make sense I was totally put off by the bearings performance. Sealed bearings or not dust is not good for them.

To the rest of the world they are 2 years old. Should they have lasted? I don't know the environment you saw is in. Humid, covered with sawdust, they will go to crap in a hurry. If you are in a dry area and clean the saw well after every use, they probably should have lasted longer.
On 3/22/2014 12:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Dry and clean.
--
Jeff