New agenda at TOH? Norm teaching basics?

Page 3 of 3

LOL...hard to count how many times we've heard that phrase (great place to read a book) on TOH. Funny thing, with this last "modern" house, the guy had a combined dining room / library...had some real nice, HUGE bookshelves...filled with pottery of course, no books. Those were some cool chairs in there though, but I'm not sure how comfy they would be for a period of extended reading...I need to have arms on my "reading" chairs. Those things must've have cost a fortune though...they visited the place that makes them a while back...lot of labor in those.
<< Those were some cool chairs in there though, but I'm not sure how comfy they would be for a period of extended reading...I need to have arms on my "reading" chairs. Those things must've have cost a fortune though...they visited the place that makes them a while back...lot of labor in those.>>
Keep in mind that any time they visit the place where something was manufactured, there's almost no chance they are paying for whatever ends up in the house.
Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

A few years back, a company installed a hot tub in one of the projects. Rumor has it, not only did TOH not pay for the installation, the spa company paid TOH to do the job. The "selection" of the particular spa had little to do with quality, as the spa company would like you to believe in their ad copy.
Most of those shows are just a grout line from an infomercial.
Remember, television is a business, even PBS... NOTHING gets mentioned by name unless it's been paid for. The most obvious examples are often seen in racing, where different broadcasters have been known to refer to the same event by different names, depending on how the naming rights were sold.
<<Remember, television is a business, even PBS... NOTHING gets mentioned by name unless it's been paid for. The most obvious examples are often seen in racing, where different broadcasters have been known to refer to the same event by different names, depending on how the naming rights were sold.>>
PBS used to be scrupulous about avoiding brand names. I remember watching an early Julia Child cooking show in which they placed masking tape over the word "Pyrex" on her measuing cup. I don't think it was because they hadn't received a promotional fee from Corning; it was because they were living up to (and perhaps overdoing) their designation of "non-commercial." Somewhere along the way, that went out the window ... the Marvin window whose product is never mentioned by name but which has a huge Marvin label on every pane. I understand that in addition to donating the goods, the manufacturers must pay a fee of upwards of $20,000 to have their products featured on the program. Last year I did a promotional/instructional video for a company called Infiltrator Systems which makes components for septic systems. I later saw the same system being installed on at a project house on Bob Vila's Home Again. Being an overtly commercial enterprise, Vila's current show does not have the same reluctance to mention brand names that his old show (TOH) does. When I inquired about the appearance I found that Infiltrator not only supplied the material, they also paid a fee to be allowed to make reference to its use on Vila's show in their promotional materials. Not only that, but the fee bought them the rights to mention Vila for only one year. If they wanted to keep touting "As seen on Bob Vila's Home Again" in newspaper or magazine ads or trade show displays, they had to re-up and pay an additional fee. Your example of broadcasters using different names to refer to racing events reminds me of something annoying the the Hartford Courant used to do. When I worked for what was then Radio 104, we used to put on an annual concert called, naturally enough, "Radio 104 Fest." If they mentioned it at all, the Courant would always call it the "104 Fest." For some reason they couldn't bring themselves to call it by it's actual name.
Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

Back when Radio 104 was _good_. <G>
On 12 Feb 2006 15:02:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thomas Moser, as I recall. They certainly were well built, but I had the same impression both about labor costs and comfort. I didn't think about the arms, but I have to throw in with you on that, too.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Well for me I was excited when I saw that NYW is going to do router table. I need to get my VCR or TIVO or something because I am going to buy a router soon and I will enjoy this a lot.
I saw my first show that I actually planned to watch last weekend. Was disappointed its only 1/2 hour. Im in detroit area but i guess its 1/2 hour everywhere.
--
Thank you,

Look at the listings for The Router Workshop and you'll _really_ be amazed.