Never used hickory before

Greetings, Lo, I discovered that there's a Woodcraft halfadozen blocks from Rockler. OMYGOD
Anyway, back in the corner is a slab of hickory that appears to have my new frame resaw embedded in it. Am I mistaken? Would hickory resist splitting when the tension is cranked up cross-grain?
While I'm on the subject: I doodled little pictures of trees and a force diagram of the resaw. I think the frame and stretchers all should be quarter-sawn and assembled bark-side out. Correct?
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Yep, it sure will- in fact, hickory is about the most resistant-to-splitting wood out there! People who build wooden bows (bowyers) love it for this property- in fact, it's often used in a thin layer (1/8" to 3/6") to back other woods and prevent a bow from breaking. For good info on wood properties, and just some all around interesting stuff (the chapter on bowstrings is flat-out fascinating!), check out the Primitive Bowyer's Bible, vols 1-3. These can be purchased new at www.horsefeathersranch.com , and can also be found on Ebay and half.com. Even if you aren't interested in building wooden bows, there is info on wood in these books that I have never seen anywhere else- great reading!
Steve www.postalbanks.com

Someday, someday....
--
"Keep your ass behind you."