NetZero

Page 2 of 3

That's only part of it. They also _compress_ images -- with some consequent loss of color-depth/detail/resolution; thus the 'compressed' image downloads 'faster'.

That is "just about" perfect. The absolute maximum you can get over a '56k' connection is 52,5000 bit/sec. [limited to 15/16 of the 56,000bit/sec it is 'theoretically capable' of developing -- because of long-time restrictions (in the actual _laws_, no less -- to ensure inter-operability of various gear) on the total amount of audio signal that can be put onto the line.]
This 52,500 bits/sec is often rounded up to 53k, when reported only in kilobits per second. *Anything* that claims a _connection_ speed of '56kbit/sec' is telling lies.

snipped-for-privacy@NOcomcastSPAM.net says...

But Charlie might want to see if the phone company's been doing any work on his lines lately. They've screwed up mine once or twice.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

says...

Around here, if you're getting 14.4 (that would be gun-in-the-mouth territory for me - figuratively speaking), SBC supposedly won't do anything. Back to Charlie...the phone company is always mucking around in the CO for one thing or another and is constantly messing up other lines. I'd say it's at least worth a call.
todd
Charlie Self wrote:

you GOTTA be kidding!!
Just "ran" across a "thing called NetZero"?
Don't be peeking at my posts, or any posts that respond to me ole Charlie!!
LOL!
dave

Satellite gives you good speed, once the connection is made. Speed of light and distance to geosynchronous satellites dictates that you'll have at least a second of lag before anything you request gets to you. Not a problem for downloading big files, but for something like a webpage made up of dozens or hundreds of individual objects, can get painfully slow.

From what I've read, they get this speedup by re-sampling the images on the pages before sending them to you, making them lower resolution and therefore faster. Some of the other "5 times faster" is probably in the V92 modem protocol's compression, which has been out for rather a long time. One might argue that that compression isn't fair to compare to "ordinary" as everyone's using it.

Once you're on the net, connecting to a usenet server isn't a biggie. I use a free one out of Germany which I am extremely happy with. No binary groups, but for me that's a non-issue.
One of the disadvantages of living in "God's country" is that it's almost always a dial-up situation. I'm fortunate to have a friend close to my house who sells software, so he has a T1 feed to his house, which I then relay over to mine (just over a mile) to get a _very_ nice network feed. This isn't likely to be the case for many folks, though.
Dave Hinz
Right answer. You get a degraded page, and as "popup blocking" is normally included, the two combine for a bit fuzzier but faster load of a new page. Balance this against competing in a limited bandwidth for the proxy, and note how slowly the _second_ page loads. I'm thinking of canceling my free trial, because it doesn't really do much. They also seem to block your PC's cached page from loading. You know how the framework seems to pop right up, then fill with changing data?
At the department we have DSL which is slower than my non-cache dialup for browsing, because it has the world's clunkiest DNS. Daughter had cable at her apartment which was slower in browsing mode than the wireless from the University, which she could get at the NW corner of her living room.
There's a lot of stuff involved, connection speed being but one.

That makes sense in this context. The html comes in from the server, the .css is cached, and the elements within it need to be fetched for you.

If she'd build a cantenna (google is your friend) she could probably get it from her entire apartment.

I had an interesting discussion with the folks from Go'mez yesterday, regarding just this. The first time their testing software fetches our page, most of the delay was the DNS lookup. Second time, that dropped to a couple milliseconds, and it was more ssl and download than anything else. A non-caching DNS server could make life miserable, or if the connection isn't set to "keep-alive". Lots of tuning can be done out there, but at the end of the day, a phone line can only move so many bits per second.
If you wanted to do a cacheing proxy server in-house, there's always Squid in the Linux/Unix/BSD/Mac world, or AllegroSurf in the windows world. Putting the cache and proxy in-house makes sense if you have more than a couple of machines on the home network. AS can even prefetch pages for you, so it's downloading _before_ you click on the link.
Dave Hinz
Thankfully, moot, as she GRADUATED this May. I was looking forward to one less "turning for tuition" as a way to get a Powermatic 3520, until she was admitted to graduate program a couple hundred further away....

After finding out Juno was the PITS I tried NetZero only to find it was the same thing with another name. Had a BITCH of a time getting cancelled! After mentioning BBB gal on the phone reluctantly agreed to let me cancel.
On 23 Jun 2004 16:10:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Look for the words "up to"... which includes "nought".
I'd ask whoever owns the copper coming into your house to do a line check first, then check the copper inside the house.
djb
Dave Balderstone responds:

The kicker is, I was on this line 2-1/2 years ago, and it pumped as much speed as is possible out of a dial-up. Same line, same outlet, etc.
Ah well. It's Verizon and they're supposed to bring DSL to the area shortly. I hope really shortly.
In the meantime, I thank you guys. $14.95 a month isn't big bucks, but if you don't get anything for it, it's money that could buy something useful. Not much these days, but something.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Something could easily have changed outside the house in 30 months. I know here the telco will come and check the line from the pole to house free of charge. It might be worth doing.
djb
Charlie,
Despite your earlier negative comments today (a real big thanks for that) I'll offer some possible help. Call Verizon and have them check the line. Because it worked before doesn't mean a thing and things change in 2-1/2 years. It could be a simple matter of them applying some sealing-current on your local loop to help dry out the connections or replacing some loading coils that may have gone bad. With that much deterioration, I would also suspect that a lightning protector may have gone bad right at the house interface or corrosion on some of the terminal connections.
Also, check the settings of your computer setup for the modem. For $15 you can buy a cheap WinModem to verify against. If you had a different computer 2-1/2 years ago and it had a modem in an ISA slot or was external, then it was most likely a modem with it's own controller on-board and did not use the main CPU for processing data. The "real" modems also have better line conditioning features built in and hence cost around $80 to $100 nowadays.
Anything else connected to this line> Did you add an extension and reverse the wires perhaps? You can get the polarity checker at Radio Shack - used to cost around $5. Add any filters to the phone line for your fax machine/answering machine? Same type service as before or have you added features such as Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.?
So are things really the same now as they were before? Modem has changed probably from an ISA slot modem to a PCI slot or even a built-in WinModem and you're seeing the effects.
Bob S.

Bob responds:

I htink I lost the loop on that thread. Sorry.
snip of advice

Possible. Just makes me wonder why it connected fine most of the time in Parkersburg, doesn't here. Old lines in both houses.
I'll check in a few days.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Charlie - in your original post you said...

...which lead me, and probably others to believe you were talking about the same house and that your connection deteriorated over time. If you're talking about two different houses, but the same computer, you need to go back to the drawing board and check all of your house wiring. Your problem is almost guaranteed to lie in your home wiring.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Bob S.

There have been lots of comments and replies to your original post Charlie - one from me included, but as I re-read your original post I have come up with the precise answer to your question. No. There - that was simple. The 5X speed up that the ISP's tout is strictly related to web surfing and as you've probably read in the other posts, is done with some trickery and there is a slight cost you pay for that as a user. What it categorically does not do is speed up your internet connection. That's a laws of physics thing and there's no getting around it.
If you can only connect at 14.4 or 28.8 today, then it's because of some problem which has been addressed by other posts. It could be a phone company problem, your house wiring, corrosion in your jacks, mice eating through insulation on your wires creating noise but perhaps not a direct short,... lots of things. This is where you need to focus. The problem could be inside your computer as well. It would pay to double check your configurations. Remember - this is the world of Windoze....
The 5X speed up deals will not help or affect your newsgroup activities however. Newsgroups are not cached like web pages are by the ISP's so each of your requests to the server for an article or for a download will still be handled the same way under the 5X offering as it is under your current service. It comes down to the fact that the 5X speed up is not really a transmission speed up but a lessening of the protocols, negotiations and accesses that the ISP's servers have to go through in order to bring you a requested web page.
HTH
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
before you start tracking electrons through copper, simply try other access numbers even if they dont seem to be in the right area. if they arent long distance, try them. if that doesnt work, go to the earthlink (or msn, or any other major provider) site and look up their dial up numbers. they're all tied into the same physical providers and often you can get a better connection to the same server via someone elses dial up number. you still connect the same and all, you just put their phone number in the box for the dialer.
is it legal? i dunno. dont care either <g> in any case try other netzero numbers first. when ive had dial up i was always flipping between numbers to find a good connection and it changed from day to day...
randy

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

Charlie,
I would stay away from Juno/NetZero if I were you. They install a required toolbar on your browser which includes spyware....yes, even the paid version has a forced toolbar at the top of your browser, and they force you to change your search page to theirs. You will find yourself rebooting more frequently than usual if you run their software.
--
Bill

Woodchuck Bill notes:

Ah. I had already decided avoidance was a good policy, but that certainly puts the stake throught their heart.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker