NetZero

...which lead me, and probably others to believe you were talking about the same house and that your connection deteriorated over time. If you're talking about two different houses, but the same computer, you need to go back to the drawing board and check all of your house wiring. Your problem is almost guaranteed to lie in your home wiring.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

how can you say this, yet not realize its an inside wiring problem?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

it also changes with time. the protocol allows for it to keep trying to go as fast as it can. but wont update your dialer window. that reports the speed you connected at and doesnt change.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

before you start tracking electrons through copper, simply try other access numbers even if they dont seem to be in the right area. if they arent long distance, try them. if that doesnt work, go to the earthlink (or msn, or any other major provider) site and look up their dial up numbers. they're all tied into the same physical providers and often you can get a better connection to the same server via someone elses dial up number. you still connect the same and all, you just put their phone number in the box for the dialer.

is it legal? i dunno. dont care either in any case try other netzero numbers first. when ive had dial up i was always flipping between numbers to find a good connection and it changed from day to day...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com:

Charlie,

I would stay away from Juno/NetZero if I were you. They install a required toolbar on your browser which includes spyware....yes, even the paid version has a forced toolbar at the top of your browser, and they force you to change your search page to theirs. You will find yourself rebooting more frequently than usual if you run their software.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

No problem - just jerkin yer chain....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Woodchuck Bill notes:

Ah. I had already decided avoidance was a good policy, but that certainly puts the stake throught their heart.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Agreed - they just say it's voice grade and tough luck. But if I mention the problem to a maintenance guy while he's out for something else, he'll usually switch the pairs or "change the loading", whatever that means. Maybe impedance?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Amen. I remember back in the days when directly connected CRTs would run 9600 on an RS232 line to a minicomputer as long as it wasn't over 50-100 feet or so. We bought 1000' of shielded, twisted pair and, just for the heck of it, ran a terminal through the whole 1000' (which was still wrapped around its spool). Worked fine :-).

Wire, connectors, soldering, etc., quality DO make a difference!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

because the guy at the DSL provider knew from my description that there is a common problem with some phone lines as they are connected to the system. wish I could recall the details. there are two pairs and one of the pairs can be connected "differently", but like I said 3 times already, I forget the terms he used to describe HOW it's connected that causes the top speed to be 28.8 or less. shoot me for forgetting, but it's been about 4 years since I talked to the guy.

for those who continue to insist it is an "inside" problem, let me mention that ALL (that's right, ALL of the inside wiring) was bypassed to check the speed of the connection right where the wiring comes up from underground to a point about 15" above the ground, on the outside wall of my garage. so can we put that notion to bed, once and for all? thank you...

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Likewise - many years ago, when I was a tech, I had a hospital for a customer and they ran an RS232C line 1500 feet using twisted pair and never dropped a bit. Like you said, every manufacturer was holding to the spec of

50 feet, but they didn't bother reading the spec - they just installed the wire and presto.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Because he _knows_ what he is talking about.

Because it is *NOT* an inside wiring problem.

He has two _different_ phone lines ( each with their _own_ phone number).

One is on a bare copper pair, all the way back to the C.O. -- on *that* line, he can get 56k. Heck, if the distance was short enough, he could even get DSL over it.

The other line goes through a 'pair gain' device, where it is *multiplexed* with other phone lines, *before* it gets to the C.O. Then, at the C.O., it is split back out to the original "lines", and connected to the switch. On *THIS* kind of a physical connection, you are _lucky_ if you can get 28.8k. a top speed of 19.2, or 14.4 is *not* uncommon. (Note: you _cannot_ run DSL over this kind of a connection.)

To get a modem connection speed above 33.6k (or 28.8k, if your modem doesn't do 33.6), there must be _exactly_*ONE*_ analog/digital conversion stage in the _entire_ circuit from your modem to *their* pseudo-modem. *IF* there are two, or more, such conversions, then it is simply *not* possible to get a connection speed faster than 33.6k.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

That's only part of it. They also _compress_ images -- with some consequent loss of color-depth/detail/resolution; thus the 'compressed' image downloads 'faster'.

That is "just about" perfect. The absolute maximum you can get over a '56k' connection is 52,5000 bit/sec. [limited to 15/16 of the 56,000bit/sec it is 'theoretically capable' of developing -- because of long-time restrictions (in the actual _laws_, no less -- to ensure inter-operability of various gear) on the total amount of audio signal that can be put onto the line.]

This 52,500 bits/sec is often rounded up to 53k, when reported only in kilobits per second. *Anything* that claims a _connection_ speed of '56kbit/sec' is telling lies.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, 'yes and no'.

Long runs of wire have significant 'distributed capacitance', just from the proximity of the two wires to each other.

One can counter-act the effect of that capacitance, by hanging some 'coils' (known technically, oddly enough, as "loading coils") on the pair, so that the inductance 'cancels' the effect of the capacitance.

For optimum signal clarity, the amount of inductance supplied by the coils has to match the capacitance -- obviously. Too much of _either_ one results in degraded audio. "How much" is 'just right' depends on several things; mostly the _length_ of the wire run, but, in addition, the -size- of the wire, the construction of the wire, and what it runs through/next to -- just to name a few of the factors.

Smaller coils, installed at more frequent positions down the length of the wire, do a better job of keeping the signal clean than do a smaller number of larger-inductance coils installed farther apart.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

NetZero is not literally "5x" faster, the software, which you rent for an extra $5 a month, simply pre-fetches the pages of all links you see on any webpage you are on, straight into your RAM. If not enough RAM then cashed onto your hard disc which you must clean yourself. But for surfing it is better than regular dial-up. I would do it for the cost of it. Satallite however is slower than regular DSL but far faster than any dial-up. You may want a V.92 type dial-up modem, with it you can place internet "on hold" wild recieving a 'phone call, yet remain dialed-up, and NetZero provides that service which would be a specific number(s) in your area.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Larry Blanchard responds:

Curiosity is nibbling. If I can find one, I have 2-3 56K modems around here. I might slip one in this machine in my spare time (whazzat? I will NEVER move again) and see what happens. Or bring my wife's machine (the one I used to run off this line) down here.

Changing dial-up numbers makes no difference whatsoever, by the way.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Reply to
George

Ah, see, if I'm going to do that, I'll give 40 bucks to rhinosoft.com and install AllegroSurf. Gives you prefetch, cache management, and blocks popups, without installing spyware on your system and without telling you it's one thing when it's really another.

Disclaimer: I know the guy who sells AllegroSurf.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think that's the term the tech used, Robert--multiplexed. Thanks for the explanation!

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave