Neighbor's Wood-Burning

Page 1 of 2
I have a friendly helpful next-door neighbor here in the woods (PA) where the zoning ordinance does NOT prohibit open burning. This is a lifelong neighbor (30+) who grew up along with us and with whom we have up until now been on very good terms. (The good terms do not extend to neighbor's wife.)
For the past month, our home has REEKED of whatever it is that he has been burning. We live on a dead-end road, but I don't want to give the impression this is, like, Deliverance-style territory. It's just a 70's-era development in the Poconos. We're not concerned that he's burning something necessarily illegal as we are that our home is becoming uninhabitable because of the smoke.
I phoned two Saturdays ago. Neighbor's gnarly wife answered, claimed "We've burned twice a week for ten years!" (patently untrue), and that "*I* don't smell a thing." The response, while not out of character for this woman, was a bit more unfriendly than we're used to, even for her.
The smoke got even worse, so we actually phoned neighbor's mom, who lives in a house out of line of the drifting smoke. Result was that smoke stopped, and next day, neighbor drives over to apologize and give me a hug. I thought the problem was solved.
Two days later, the burning started again. Because neighbor is extremely well-employed, I could see it wasn't a matter of his burning on yet another Monday mid-morning, and I started to wonder if he installed some sort of wood-burning device inside his home whose vent is aimed directly our way.
What if anything can we do to settle this nightmare? This would be like something from Seinfeld if it wasn't causing such pain. If we contact him again (and we'll have to do it when we're sure we won't instead get wife-from-Hades), we'll 1) "take back" the friendly reception of our complaint to his Mom, or 2) show that we don't believe his explanation of "just extra wood left over from chopped trees." He would have had to cut down half his lot in order for the burning to be going on this long.
Any advice--mechanical, structural, legal, seasonal (!)--desperately needed and appreciated.
On 15 Dec 2004 02:47:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Actually this is a woodworking group. You may want to call Dr. Joy Browne to find out what she recommends. There may be something serious going on, like cremation or meth-lab work.

Drive-by shooting?
Or, call a lawyer/county/town hall/zoning officer. We're wood-dorkers, here.
In most areas of the Poconos burn barrels are legal to use but most townships restrict to Saturday burning only. As we say to the complaining New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."
My only concern would be if he was burning pressure treated wood. He might have been burning leaves.....
--
Rumpty

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too." Then we take their Yankee money.
Dick Durbin

Welcome to Florida. Now, go home!
My motto.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod responds:

Been there. Was glad to go home.
June in Orlando is not as bad as July, but it ain't much fun for fat people.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
On 15 Dec 2004 17:53:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Orlando is horrible. You have to be near a coast for summers to be tolerable. The furthest inland I've lived in my 20+ years here was Jacksonville, but I was young and chasing women, so I didn't notice.
Hollywood (in my yout') and Ormond Beach (now), while hot in summer, are quite pleasant, in terms of climate. (I've been hotter in Chicago). Let's just say I'm really glad to be out of South Florida.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod responds:

I was stationed in J'ville many decades ago (not an exaggeration--'58). I was 20 and about 100 pounds lighter and was chasing women in my spare time, of which there was plenty, so I couldn't tell you if it was cold or hot in June and July and August and September. I do know that in early December, when it dropped to maybe 65, everyone seemed to just sprout heavy coats, something of a surprise for a New Yorker.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Spent a week this summer for work near Pensacola; we were within 5 miles of the gulf -- it still sucked. It was hot, but humid then it rained. After it rained, it really got humid. 110 in Tucson -- no problem, 98 in Florida with 100% humidity -- no thanks!

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:34:22 +0000, LRod

Last time I went to Florida was a December to get away from the cold. When I got there, there was an ice storm. All the interstates were closed, hotels were all filled up, and I slept in my (cold) car. Haven't gone back and that was 15 years ago.
I was always told to call the fire department when I smelled smoke.
Dick

Please don't waste your fire department's time for a bad-neighbor situation. Most of the time, they're at home with their families, and don't have time or interest in getting involved in some neighborly spat.
Phisherman wrote:

Two brothers I know _drove_ from Fairbanks, Alaska to spend Christmas with their parents in Jacksonville, Florida. On the day they arrived in Jacksonville the temperature was 12 F. The high that same day in Fairbanks was 20 F.
--

FF

On 16 Dec 2004 08:35:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

12 in Jacksonville is very unusual. I lived there for five years (only a decade after Charlie) and don't remember it ever getting that cold. However, even after ten years in Jamestown, NY, and 26 years in Chicago, I still maintain the coldest I ever felt was one night in Jacksonville when it was 18. I was sitting in my car, a convertible (yes, the top was UP, dammit), waiting for someone, and I couldn't get warm, even with the heat going. I can still remember it, and it's been 35 years.
I think appropriate garments, time of day, and associated weather phenomenon have everything to do with it. I took a 50' tower down one day in Chicago when it was 10. Down vest, bright sunshine, no wind made it quite comfortable...until I had to put bare hands on steel.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Old steel worker ? walked the steel for 26 years......nothing colder in winter, nothing hotter in summer and nothing as unforgiving if one makes a mistake. Wood is much more fun !
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:17:49 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scott Altman) wrote:

Nope. Stupider than that. I'm a ham radio operator. Somehow I became the local tower climbing expert. I worked on more than 70 installations while I was living there; several more than once--some (mine included) many times.
I won't be able to dazzle you with height, as I'm sure you've worked hundreds of feet higher than I have, but the highest I worked was 140'.
Of course it wasn't just building them (and occasionally taking them down); it was also rigging big antennas onto them, too. A typical ham antenna (for HF use) has a boom between 12' and 30' long, and from 2 to 11 elements, as long as 44'. There are bigger ones but I never got involved with them.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Okay, LRod. Now we know you're lying. :)
OBWW: Last winter I helped a friend make some bookcases. I have a heater in the garage/shop, but at one point we needed to open the door in order to rip down some of the plywood. After the few short minutes to do that, I couldn't feel my fingers any more. :(
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
On 17 Dec 2004 15:58:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@myoffice.math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) wrote:

But, but, but...
Oh, I see; I think your ^^^ were supposed to be under the "no wind" They showed up under "vest, brig" on my reader. Yeah, I can see how you might disbelieve that...ha, ha. Of course I only said Chicago to make it simple. I was actually almost as far out as you; I was in Aurora.
I'm not saying there weren't some chilly moments. As I implied in my OP, having to take my gloves off to handle small metal parts was an exercise of very short bursts. That cold-soaked steel was more than a match for my extremeties.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Ya we do the same, if they don't shut up we tell em to take I-80 East...
--
Rumpty