Neighbor just lost thumb

Page 2 of 3

"My only problem with the goggles is that when I wear a dust mask my glasses seem to fog up." That was the main reason I bought a respirator. Not a really expensive one but I can change the filters for dust or vapor, and the exhaust vent is at the bottom so it never fogs up the glasses. Much easier to breathe in it too.
I *look* like I'm handling Toxic Waste from Hell when I'm all dressed up with the mask and the glasses, but I'm much more comfortable than I was with that cloth mask.

I think tied into that is for power tools and other toys like skis and motorcycles, when you lose your fear you get hurt.. I'll admit in a heart beat that I'm scared of a spinning saw blade... and I think that fear/healthy respect/whatever keeps you safer.. Mac
<<SNIP>>

When the fear goes......so do the digits. I hope to never lose my fear/respect of power tools.
Last night I was cleaning my mower deck with a stripper on my drill....One of those with the sets of metal fingers on a disk......My face shield was laying beside me as I was working and I thought...you know, I just was reading yesterday on the "rec"....So I put it on...Not two minutes later one of the metal fingers bounced off the shield.......
I don't know if my glasses would have caught it or not, either way it made me take a minute. What I do know is those things HURT coming off there.
I always mutter to myself "10 in... 10 out" when I go into the shop, I keep threatening to put a sign up with that on it.... A couple of friends make fun occasionally because I use a shield, wear ear plugs, gloves, and miscellaneous other protective stuff....I just smile and tell them I have tender sissy office skin and it has to be taken care of...Make as much fun as you like, I'm not fond of bleeding. :-)

I agree. The miter saw (together with the table saw and jointer) have a huge pucker factor for me. So I'm always ultra careful with those machines (really all of them, but those machines moreso). The laser just gives me one more reassurance that my parts aren't in the way.
brian

From what I've read here, most bad things that happen on a CMS aren't because you had a body part in the way of the blade, but that either the piece was too short to be hand held or not secured well, and the blade twisted the work and carried the hand into the blade..
I've got a $15 toggle clamp on my CMS and I think of it as a very good investment.. I let the clamp hold the work.. Mac

I have the PC cms. It has a separate switch for the laser. I was equally annoyed by the saws where the laser was attached to the motor switch.
So far, even with the laser, I've still been bringing the blade down (with the motor off) to match up the blade and the cut line.
brian

I draw a line on the board and position it roughly against the fence. Then I bring the saw down to move the line to the saw blade. I then position my other hand when the saw is down. I then lift the saw, turn it on and complete the cut. My holding hand is stationary during the whole process. The only hand that moves is the one that grabs the handle on top of the saw.
I like my hand and all its fingers. I take good care of them. I have been known, since I was a kid, as a safety freak.
the next question is, who takes off there rings when using tools?
my high school shop teacher had a picture of a student that didn't and it got caught in the table saw, split his forarm like a gutted fish all the way to the elbow where it pulled the ligaments out
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives

Me for sure those might have been US Air Force safety pick you where looking at.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Been married for 24 years. Never had or would I wear a ring. Just something to remember to take off (and probably loose).

The CW entity posted thusly:

A friend in the air force (RCAF) was working on a CF104 one day. I don't know exactly where he put his hand while trying to find some part or another, but his ring got between a 28 volt rail and something grounded. It melted about 3/8 of the circumference off the ring, charring his finger badly in the process. They saved his finger, but it never looked or worked quite right after that.
The day that happened, I took my ring off, and never wore another one.
For that reason, I never wore dog tags in the military either. Kept them in my pocket. Would have been rather exciting to get them into a 750 amp generator.

That would definately charge your batteries.
Al

Do you have any more information how it happened? Did something slip during the cut or was it a simple "the thumb was in the way and I didn't think about it"?
My stomach is sick thinking about it. I hope that she gets through it OK.
My mistake, I just spoke with her husband today and learned that she was cutting the piece of flooring with a circular saw, not a CMS. They own a miter saw, I don't know what possessed here to not use it. She put her left hand on top of the piece and held in on a table, no clamp. With her right hand she held the saw. The piece slipped and her thumb went under the blade.
CMS users can breathe a little easier.
On 17 Apr 2006 13:05:01 -0700, "Todd the wood junkie"

I have come so close to doing that same thing. It is one of those "one last cut" moments that you know better but do anyway.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

Why, O why! is the imagination so much more graphic when someone recounts such a tale, than when one is prepping for a cut?
Hmm, seems like a good tool.
er
--
email not valid

Now There is the most sensible thing I ever heard in this whining group of wannabees. Stay calm, use your head, wait for the signs. THROW AWAY THAT DARN KILLER TABLE SAW GUARD !!! Don't do shaky setups. Do everything else. Some day you will be comfortable, but believe me, it takes more than time, it takes DOING it every day for a long time AND THEN YOU WILL SEE HOW IT ALL ROLLS TOGETHER.
I just love the amusing and quaint qualities of a rant like this one.
Having the art of being "just" clear enough to know that you are indeed ranting about the string you're posting in, but at the same time being "just" vague enough to be completely confusing......
Kudos to you RM MS. 8-)