Neighbor just lost thumb

Mr Clements wrote: the next question is, who takes off there rings when using tools?

Reply to
tom

Me for sure those might have been US Air Force safety pick you where looking at.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Me too, in the chest pocket of the apron.

Prescription safety glasses are a godsend to glasses wearers. They also save wear and tear, as well as finish splashes, on the expensive "street" glasses.

Reply to
Ba r r y

I would second that I absolutely love my prescription safety glasses the first thing I do when getting into the shop is take off my good glasses and throw on the prescription safety glasses. Its like a bonus being that there prescription and you dont want to scratch/dirty up your day glasses you actualy remind yourself to change to the safety glasses so you dont mess up your good glasses.

Untill a few years ago I never used safety glasses, a few years ago I got my first pair of prescription glasses..... I will never have laser surgery because I value my eyesight to much, glasses any kind of glasses could save my eyesight on a daily bases im glad my eyesight got a little worse will most likely have saved it in the longrun.

Reply to
redice

I always try to get my prescription glasses so the lens won't shatter shards into my eye if anything makes it through my goggles. I always wear goggles, and whenever I catch myself wanting to make a simple bandsaw cut or drill a small hole without putting them on, I hear myself thinking, "Zero tolerance!" and on go the goggles.

I have never understood why people think safety glasses alone are safe. The top part of my cheeks (just under my eyes) seems like a little deflection ramp, perfectly angled to ricochet any incoming matter directly into my eye.

My only problem with the goggles is that when I wear a dust mask my glasses seem to fog up.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Been married for 24 years. Never had or would I wear a ring. Just something to remember to take off (and probably loose).

Reply to
CW

The CW entity posted thusly:

A friend in the air force (RCAF) was working on a CF104 one day. I don't know exactly where he put his hand while trying to find some part or another, but his ring got between a 28 volt rail and something grounded. It melted about 3/8 of the circumference off the ring, charring his finger badly in the process. They saved his finger, but it never looked or worked quite right after that.

The day that happened, I took my ring off, and never wore another one.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

For that reason, I never wore dog tags in the military either. Kept them in my pocket. Would have been rather exciting to get them into a 750 amp generator.

Reply to
CW

That would definately charge your batteries.

Al

Reply to
Al

Yeah, I learned to work 'scared' after my neighbor lopped off a finger on his table saw. A cutting sled adds immeasurably to safety on a table saw. I consider radials just plain dangerous and got rid of mine. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

"My only problem with the goggles is that when I wear a dust mask my glasses seem to fog up." That was the main reason I bought a respirator. Not a really expensive one but I can change the filters for dust or vapor, and the exhaust vent is at the bottom so it never fogs up the glasses. Much easier to breathe in it too.

I *look* like I'm handling Toxic Waste from Hell when I'm all dressed up with the mask and the glasses, but I'm much more comfortable than I was with that cloth mask.

Reply to
else24

Do you have any more information how it happened? Did something slip during the cut or was it a simple "the thumb was in the way and I didn't think about it"?

My stomach is sick thinking about it. I hope that she gets through it OK.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

My mistake, I just spoke with her husband today and learned that she was cutting the piece of flooring with a circular saw, not a CMS. They own a miter saw, I don't know what possessed here to not use it. She put her left hand on top of the piece and held in on a table, no clamp. With her right hand she held the saw. The piece slipped and her thumb went under the blade.

CMS users can breathe a little easier.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

I have come so close to doing that same thing. It is one of those "one last cut" moments that you know better but do anyway.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Why, O why! is the imagination so much more graphic when someone recounts such a tale, than when one is prepping for a cut?

Hmm, seems like a good tool.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

From what I've read here, most bad things that happen on a CMS aren't because you had a body part in the way of the blade, but that either the piece was too short to be hand held or not secured well, and the blade twisted the work and carried the hand into the blade..

I've got a $15 toggle clamp on my CMS and I think of it as a very good investment.. I let the clamp hold the work.. Mac

mac davis

I think tied into that is for power tools and other toys like skis and motorcycles, when you lose your fear you get hurt.. I'll admit in a heart beat that I'm scared of a spinning saw blade... and I think that fear/healthy respect/whatever keeps you safer.. Mac

mac davis

When the fear goes......so do the digits. I hope to never lose my fear/respect of power tools.

Last night I was cleaning my mower deck with a stripper on my drill....One of those with the sets of metal fingers on a disk......My face shield was laying beside me as I was working and I thought...you know, I just was reading yesterday on the "rec"....So I put it on...Not two minutes later one of the metal fingers bounced off the shield.......

I don't know if my glasses would have caught it or not, either way it made me take a minute. What I do know is those things HURT coming off there.

I always mutter to myself "10 in... 10 out" when I go into the shop, I keep threatening to put a sign up with that on it.... A couple of friends make fun occasionally because I use a shield, wear ear plugs, gloves, and miscellaneous other protective stuff....I just smile and tell them I have tender sissy office skin and it has to be taken care of...Make as much fun as you like, I'm not fond of bleeding. :-)

Reply to
bremen68

Now There is the most sensible thing I ever heard in this whining group of wannabees. Stay calm, use your head, wait for the signs. THROW AWAY THAT DARN KILLER TABLE SAW GUARD !!! Don't do shaky setups. Do everything else. Some day you will be comfortable, but believe me, it takes more than time, it takes DOING it every day for a long time AND THEN YOU WILL SEE HOW IT ALL ROLLS TOGETHER.

Reply to
RM MS

I just love the amusing and quaint qualities of a rant like this one.

Having the art of being "just" clear enough to know that you are indeed ranting about the string you're posting in, but at the same time being "just" vague enough to be completely confusing......

Kudos to you RM MS. 8-)

Reply to
bremen68