Negative Gloat (if there is such a thing)

So I see this ad in Craigslist for a 12" Table Saw for $125. Craftsman, it says. Older model it says. Only about 30 minutes away. So I say I'd like to see it if it's still available. About 8 hours later, a reply with a phone number and a note "It's still available". So I call. The guy who answers sounds like he's in his twentys or thirtys. Doesn't seem to know a lot about the saw. "It came from a machine shop or something." "Yes, it's available." "Yes, it runs." "I'm moving."
So off I go. Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw. The words seem interchangable to him. I politely decline, and return to my car, secure in the knowledge that....If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
BruceT
Bruce T wrote:

You... blow?
er
--
email not valid

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

ROTFL ... a good one!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Been there, alright. Read a Future Shop ad, in which they advertised a 'Colour Laser Printer' for about $600. This was back a few years ago, when they were usually about $2000 and up. But, I figured "Hey, it's a big company. Maybe they got a good buy on them."
Got there and found out it was a standard laser printer. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had just admitted it was a mistake, typo, or brain fart, but the idiots had the nerve to try to tell me that you could put various colours of toner in it!

Well, it *is* possible. I remember the ads when B&W laserwriters first came out. For chuckles I tried to see if they were still available, and didn't have much luck finding a color cartridge for my Apple LaserWriter Pro 630.
Snio

Hey, you can put water in your gas tank also. :~)
"Bruce T" wrote in message

So Bruce Johnson's son's selling the old man's tools, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

You beat me to it... LOL Did you order that pinner yet?
"Leon" wrote in message

ALL feedback thus far says to buy the Bostitch, and some have been pretty strong about it, but I'm stuck in limbo ...All roads for the damn thing on the Internet seem to lead to Amazon and they're "back ordered".
Locally, I don't think Empire Tools handle Bostitch, Circle Saw doesn't have it in stock, and neither Lowes or HD ever stock the thing.
Ahh well ... we shall wait and see.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Fine Homebuilding advertised a Nikle pinner.. for $ 279.00 US. In Woobweb forum, it is well received..then a bombshell: The Craftsman *IS* a Nikle...and I paid $ 149.00 CAN$ for mine..and it hasn't mis-fired yet. The big problem with misfiring is that people put the nails in upside down. Easily done.
It's the coolest little tool!
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Hmmm ... does it put the nail below the surface? That seems to be the biggest problem with most of the pinners. How about availability and sizes of pins?
Thanks ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

It drops the pin just enough below the surface for most of the fibres to close in after the pin is inserted. They're damned hard to find and grab pretty good. The Nikle (Craftsman) only goes to 3/4" but I have found that to be enough for those small mouldings I have been putting on some of my jobs lately. If a piece needs more than than a 3/4" pin, I'd be inclined to WANT to use a bigger nail like an 18 ga. The nails/pins offered are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4.
A friend of mine, who runs a large kitchen door factory, uses a 1/2" pin to lock the stiles to the rails of his 5-piece doors till the glue sets ( credit Nahm).. they're hard to find in oak/maple/cherry.
It is not a finish nailer.. it is a pinner. People, like yourself Karl, will appreciate what it does without expecting it to be a panacea.
One job I dislike, is to nail 1/4" thick ply- veneered panels onto the kicks after I install a kitchen. With the pinner, however, I do not need to go back and fill any holes. Time saved... more fun...easier on the knees.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I'm looking to preclude having to nail set pins, or have shiny heads pop up after a bit of finish sanding, should that becomes necessary.

... except for maybe 3/8 those are the sizes that I would anticipate. I have 18-ga guns.

There you go ...
Thanks.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

being shipped. I saw it at the last Woodworkers show in Pomona, CA - It seemed to work pretty good - we'll see.
Dave

Was that guy, Bruce Johnson, from the DIY channel??? He is clueless as to what a RAS is.

You _should_ have known something was "suspect".
Have you *ever* heard of a _Craftsman_ 12" table saw before?

Look at the good side -- with all that high-pressure air heading your way, you should have good weather for several days. <*grin*>

Well, I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, so I did a quick check a Sears.com & found a Craftsman 12" Table Saw Model 22802. Seeing that, I figure that hey, I don't know hold long Sears has been making these things, but I do know that they used to make a lot of good tools when I worked there back in the 60's, so what the hey, let's give it a try.