needed help with threaded wooden dowel

My nephew broke the thumbscrew on my marking gauge. I have not been able to find a replacement but could make one if I had a couple of wooden dowels about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long with about 1 inch threaded 1/2 x 8 tpi. Can anyone here help me or tell me where I might obtain a replacement wooden or plastic thumbscrew Thanks

Doug

Reply to
D. Raynor

You could make your own if you are willing to spend a pretty fair amount of money for the tool(s).

the thread pitch was a standard 1/2 - 13 (UNC) you could do it with a standard die but on long grain like a dowel the threads tend to chip off as you cut; nevertheless, it can be done...the head of my cane is attached to the shaft with 1/2 - 13 threads.

If I were you I would put a threaded insert into the gauge and go buy a nice brass thumbscrew. Maybe even a knurled one :)

Reply to
dadiOH

You could make your own if you are willing to spend a pretty fair amount of money for the tool(s).

the thread pitch was a standard 1/2 - 13 (UNC) you could do it with a standard die but on long grain like a dowel the threads tend to chip off as you cut; nevertheless, it can be done...the head of my cane is attached to the shaft with 1/2 - 13 threads.

If I were you I would put a threaded insert into the gauge and go buy a nice brass thumbscrew. Maybe even a knurled one :)

Reply to
Joe

and such.

If the thread pitch was a standard 1/2 - 13 (UNC) you could do it with a

I strongly second that idea.

-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wrap masking tape in a spiral around the right sized dowel. Follow the "lines" with a triangular file until you have your thumbscrew. For a single piece, no need to spend bucks on a specialized tool.

Reply to
Father Haskell