Needed: Green White Oak

I need to bend some wood to make a top arch for an outdoor gate. Want to use White Oak. Have attempted steam bending with dried S2S Oak from the lumberyard without success. Where can I purchase a couple of pieces of 1x4x4' of raw White Oak? I have a bandsaw, jointer and planer to clean it up.
Does it haveto be white oak?? I have red oak logs that I will be sawing up in december. 1000 bf or so.......Brian
Brian, Thanks for the offer, but Red Oak will not work. White Oak is quite moisture resistant, Red is not. Has to do with something in the pores of the wood that makes the weather resistance difference. They use WO for wine barrels. Phill

Make a pattern for the arch, reswaw the Oak into 1/8" strips, glue and clamp onto the pattern. Wait 24 hours, clean and plane to width.
Dave

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:06:25 -0600, "Dustmaker"

Two places. People who fell trees, or people who take felled trees and mill them to green boards for drying. Anyone later on in the chain is too late.
Ask around. Talk to the mill people and see who they suggest. If you're desperate, phone WoodMizer and ask them who operates a bandsaw mill in your area. They might not have it, but they'll know who to talk to.

What you need is a froe. Cleave it to size, bend it, then worry about the shape. It's easier to bend continuous-grained timber with a wiggle than it is if it has already been sawn straight.
--
Smert' spamionam