need to deepen a mortise

I have had to plane off an amount on the latch side of an old (80 yr or so) interior door. Now i need to deepen the mortise the old style latch fits into. Kind of at a loss as to what to use to reach down in there probably close to 3" to take another 1/4" out. The mortise is approx 5/8x4xhowever deep. Any ideas short of drilling and digging with a bent chisel?
thanks!
--
Steve Barker
"Steve Barker" wrote:

---------------------------------- Home made mortising jig for a variable speed plunge router equipped with a 4 flute, 1/2" dia end mill.
I made the jig from a plan found with Google search.
Might also be on Pat Barber's site.
Due to the unsupported length of the bit, keep RPM around 10,000.
Have fun.
Lew
http://tinyurl.com/cvnku9
--------------------------- The above is the jig.
Lew
On 12/30/2011 6:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

THANKS!
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

router
long bit, bit cutter same diameter as bit shank
guide bit shank on existing mortice sides, no jig needed
--

dadiOH