need to deepen a mortise

I have had to plane off an amount on the latch side of an old (80 yr or so) interior door. Now i need to deepen the mortise the old style latch fits into. Kind of at a loss as to what to use to reach down in there probably close to 3" to take another 1/4" out. The mortise is approx

5/8x4xhowever deep. Any ideas short of drilling and digging with a bent chisel?

thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

---------------------------------- Home made mortising jig for a variable speed plunge router equipped with a 4 flute, 1/2" dia end mill.

I made the jig from a plan found with Google search.

Might also be on Pat Barber's site.

Due to the unsupported length of the bit, keep RPM around 10,000.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

--------------------------- The above is the jig.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

THANKS!

Reply to
Steve Barker

router

long bit, bit cutter same diameter as bit shank

guide bit shank on existing mortice sides, no jig needed

Reply to
dadiOH