Need to buy a planer...DW735 or other info needed.

I have a Craftsman 13" portable planer (paid $158 on clearance 6 months back), it works fine for the likes of poplar and construction grade woods...but have need to plane hard maple for major kitchen renovation. I have some trials with some hard maple in shop, and am experiencing tear out (this was not quilted or burled wood).
Considering the Dewalt 735 with its 3 blade and slower feed rate option.
Anyone have experience to offer using on hard maple.
Thanks in advance. Drew
I have the 13" Delta, love it. I do quite a bit with hard and BE maple. Try wetting the maple before planing or joining. I wipe with a damp rag, wait apx. 1 min, then wipe off.
Of course, if you are looking for an excuse, go spend the money, more power is always a help.
dave

out
Drew wrote:

Works fine. If you feed the hard maple sideways, watch out, the dust ejection system may get clogged with the long maple shavings.
--
gabriel

Are the knives still sharp? And are you orienting the grain properly though the machine to try avoiding chipout ?
Brian.

out
Brian wrote:

though
Knives still very sharp, owned for 6 months but used only recently, and very little.
Orienting wood correctly, not end grain or against grain during pass through planer.

Just ran my first piece of wood (red oak) through my new 735, and it's very cool! I think I can throw away my stash of sandpaper . . . Don't know about maple, though at the slow speed it should be no factor (and slow speed is still faster than you would rip on a TS).
Cheers,
Scott
I haven't had any problems with Hard Maple on the DW735 - even at dimensioning speed. Same for figured Maple. Leaves a pratically no-sand surface.

out
Well, thank you for all the feedback. I think I will purchase the DW735 as it seems vastly superior to this "deal" I thought I had. Perhaps someone locally has need of a decent 13" dimensioning planer for construction work. It really is good for what it is capable of doing. I should be able to recoop the 150 bucks.
I did a little calculating.... Craftsman unit:
8000 rpm x 2 blades --------------------- = 58 cpi 23 fpm x 12 in
The DW735 boasts 96 or 179 cpi, nearly twice the cuts per inch in dimensioning mode. 3 times as many in finish mode. I can't argue with the math. When I purchased the Craftsman I new it was a good deal @ 158 bucks...but had little experience at the time with planers, now that I have the need to process hard maple, the inadequacies of the lesser machine are evident.
Drew