Need tips for cutting 3/4x4x8 ply

Page 2 of 2

Laying the sheets directly on 2" thick foam insulation, on the floor, is really easy.
Kneel and cut.
Barry

I have a 1-car garage from 1929 (www.radburn.org). Although there is no car(let) in the garage, it's pretty full with canoes and bikes + assorted gardening tools. I have barely enough room for a 4x8 sheet, and can't easily crawle around it. Standing *is* easier!
--
Best regards
Han

I've used most of the methods everyone else has been talking about. For the bathroom remodel this summer I built the sacrificial-top table described here: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00035.asp and lopped the good edges off a couple good plywood sheet, one long and one short, for guides.
I plan to make a *real* circular saw guide this spring, but that table doesn't need any work. It's GREAT. Click on "Setting up the table" about halfway down the page to see what it looks like and an easy way to put a heavy sheet of ply on it. Folds up nice for storage. Used it to cut the sheet vinyl for the bathroom floor. Toss a sheet of ply on it for a top and it makes a passable assembly/work table. Took me an afternoon and about twenty five bucks to build it. I think it's saved me hours of time and I know it's done wonders for my back. :-) It's a lot easier and more fun to mark out and cut a good edge when the work is at a comfortable height and you know it's not going to fall on your foot when it's cut.
Cutting plywood with a tablesaw is possible - if you've got about an acre of infeed and outfeed tables and a six foot fence. Having somebody hold the ends up while you try to guide it through a blade going a few gazillion revs per minute might lose you some friends. At best you'll get a lousy edge. They're just too awkward to handle.