Need Thick Wood

Page 2 of 2
B A R R Y wrote:

"...up from 1x stock mitered w/ splines or the 45-deg glue joint..."
was precisely what I had in mind...
That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :)
GrayFox wrote:

Here's one, in Dallas http://www.centralhardwoods.com/products/hardwoodlumber.html
They've got 4/4 in Black Cherry, Ash, Basswood, Yellow Birch, Cypress, Mahogany, Makore, Maple, Oak, Pecan, Poplar, Sapele, Walnut, Potato, Fish, Leek, and Pumpkin Fudge (you'll find that nice).

What about a 6"x6" post? They'll be 5 1/4 - 5 1/2 inches on each side. Usually people make things like this up from thinner woods due to cost...
Puckdropper

: I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak, : walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?
Pretty much no one kiln dries wood that thick, so you'll be looking for either green wood you can air dry (for several years), glued-up stock from thinner wood, or stuff that's already been air dried.
You could look for a local sawmill nd see what they can do for you. Or look for a turner's organization in your area, since turners use thick wood.
    -- Andy Barss