Need Thick Wood

Page 1 of 2
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak, walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Find somebody in your area who has a WoodMizer, and have it custom-cut. It's tough enough to find lumber dealers who stock 16/4 -- anything bigger than that is going to be really hard to find off-the-shelf.
Contact WoodMizer customer service (www.woodmizer.com) and they can put you in touch with owners of their mills.
--
Regards,

Direct from a lumber mill.
Wood that thick is very rare and probably difficult to dry properly. Is is possible for you to glue-up several pieces into the desired thickness?
Mike Brown

GrayFox wrote:

Check your Yellow Pages for "Wood."
Any large city will have several suppliers, importers.
I'm in Houston and happened to wander around the warehouse of a company that makes custom molding.
They had container loads of ebony, mahogany, walnut, everything else, each "hunk" the size of a railroad tie and about 25' long. Plus loads of other stuff. Joint was as big as an airplane hanger.
I was impressed.

Clark's Hardwood Lumber?
"Leon" wrote in message

Or Detering, or Mason's Mill & Lumber Co.?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

We're on for tonight?
"Leon" wrote in message

Yep ... AAMOF, I was planning on going to Clark's this morning to pick up a load of maple for kitchen drawers but we start framing on Monday and I still don't have a dumpster/cutoff box set up so I need to get that done this morning.
Just as well as I need a place to put the shop trash from the cabinets before I'll have room for the maple.
Best laid plans ...
Is it your B'day today?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Bryan's today, mine is Monday.
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:08:33 -0500, "Leon"

In a thread entitled "Need thick wood"? <G>

;~) LOL

Probably directly from the mill, if you can find it at all. Expect to pay a premium for dry wood, it would take a lot of time, even to kiln dry.
Probably the best and easiest way is to glue up several boards into a thicker one.

I haven't been in Houston for a few years, but when I built cabinets there, I occasionally frequented a lumber yard called The Hardwood Lumber Yard on 5 and 1/2 street in the Heights. They had six or so quonset huts filled with exotic wood. You might try to inquire there for your needs. Joe G

That is Clarks Hardwood Lumber Co. and they are still there. It is a blast to go exploring in the building to find all sorts of special wood. Be prepared to part with dollars though. :-)

Lowell, You are right on the money. It was Clarks Lumber Yard in the Houston Heights.I had forgotten the name. I see now they have a web site as well. Thanks for tweeking my memory. Joe G
Fri, Aug 24, 2007, 7:55pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GrayFox) I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak, walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?
How much money you willing to put out?
Other than that minor detail, you left out a lott of other details. Like how long, how wide, where you at, and so on. Of course you could also say where you are, but if you've got lots of money to spend you can afford the shipping anyway.
What'cha want to make?

Lengths have to be around 2' each.
Width, at least 18/4 wide, or multiples thereof.
I'm in Dallas, TX.
I'm making a project that requires 4" x 4" finished blanks.
And, I don't have LOTS of money!
GrayFox wrote:

Given the last, I'd strongly consider changing your design/process to one of the following --
-- Glue up from matching stock. If done carefully, it's quite possible the final glue lines will be virtually undetectable.
-- If that is just totally unacceptable for some reason, modify the design to accept the dimensions obtainable from roughsawn 16/4 stock. That you at least have a chance of finding at something less than the price of pure unobtainium.
-- Build the 4x4 up from 1x stock mitered w/ splines or the 45-deg glue joint if the block doesn't absolutely have to be solid (like very deep turning). Except for the surface, nobody can tell what's inside, anyway, so using all that solid material is a waste (again, unless it is a deep turning).
-- In the same vein, if it isn't a turning, use a lesser wood for the structure and a very nice quality veneer.
I suggest you look for someone advertising "turning blocks" to get the size, but 2-ft may be a little long. Still probably best bet, however, if absolutely must have solid stock of that dimension.
Bring bucks...

There's also the lock miter, via a router table or shaper.