Need table saw advice

Page 4 of 4
The answer to both of your questions is easy: "no" and "no".
However, my question, I am still having difficulty answering.

It is almost *never* a "mistake" to 'over buy' on tooling. If you buy a "better grade than you can make use of" you'll never be dissatisfied with the _tool_.
There are really only about two _major_ differences between a good contractor saw, and a good cabinet saw. (There -is- a third one -- having to do with the efficiency of a dust-collector hook-up; cabinet saws *are* notably better at containing sawdust, but that is rarely a 'deal breaker' consideration.)
Difference #1: "Power." Contractor saws tend to max out at around 2HP, while cabinet saws are often 3HP, or sometimes 5HP. The question to consider is "do you _need_ that extra horsepower?" Which depends utterly on what you'll be doing -- you can cut -anything- on a low-power saw, if you're willing to go 'slow enough'. If you're "only rarely" dealing with softwood stock thicker than nominal 2", or hardwoods over 1" to maybe 1-1/2", the 'extra power' available with the bigger HP saw is *not* likely to get called on. OTOH, if you -do- plan to spend significant amounts of time working 'thick' stock, the bigger motor *will* be helpful.
Difference #2: trunnion 'architecture'. Without going into the 'gory details', let it suffice to say that this affects how well the saw 'holds' its set-up, and the ease with which one can tune it to the optimal settings. Again, cabinet saws are ahead on this one, But, on _any_ quality saw that doesn't get banged around, this is something you do "once in a blue moon" -- if that often. In 'normal', hobbiest, use, it will usually be many, *many* years before the blade set-up needs adjusting a 2nd time.
Once you've got them set up, and 'tuned', there's little "functional" difference between the two types, *UNLESS* you're cutting big hard lumber.
One last *possible* consideration -- I've never seen a contractor saw with a blade bigger than 10". Cabinet saws _are_ available with bigger blades (although at a considerable cost increment); my H.S. shop had two cabinet saws -- a 'normal' 10" one, and an "industrial size" monster, which had a 16" blade.
Thanks for everyones advice and comments. I bought a right-tilt Delta x-unisaw with a 50 inch Beis at the Arlington TX woodworking show this last weekend. I'm satisfied with my decision and look forward to using the saw.
Marc

before
have
boards,
go
go
It's been 2 whole days...48 hours...and you haven't made sawdust yet? Don't tell us you took time out to sleep in the last 2 days. lol

hobby
money
for
better