Need suggestions for a lathe

Folks,
I don't do bowls (at least not yet) and I don't use a lathe all that much anymore (lots of craftsman furniture), but I still do turnings now and then. I have done many turnings over the years that vary from 1/2 inch to 6 inches or so in diameter to over 3 ft in length. Sometimes I had to splice two together to get the length I needed. I have done all this with (ugh!) a 40 year old Sears Craftsman "tube" lathe that I bought NEW. I tried a friend's Delta 46-715 and liked it. I also know that Delta has a new midi 46-460 lathe that appears to be very nice. The 46-715 has been discontinued, so I would probably have to buy it used.
I don't want to spend over $600 or $700 (would prefer less) because I don't use the lathe a lot, but I would like the smoothness and chatter freedom that I can expect from a quality lathe. Although I know it would be nice, I don't want a used 400 lb. behemoth. I have read about the Grizzly and Shop Fox lathes, but I also heard the mixed results. The Sears has made a smooth cut hard to do (possible, but hard).
With these facts in mind, I would like to ask you-all what you would suggest.

Any of the Teknatool Nova line. I had a Nova 3000 for a number of years and was very satisfied with it.
You also might want to post to rec.crafts.woodturning
wrote in message
Snip

Snip
I would like to find a Nova Lathe for $600 or $700, where did you get yours?
wrote in message

I bought mine new, but when I sold it several years later it went for about that price. Keep in mind that the Comet and Mercury were also Nova lathes
If your turnings (for now) are 10" diameter or less and 24" long, you can't go wrong with a Jet Mini, IMO.. Wonderful little lathe that's got sufficient power, is very smooth and stable and easy to get parts and accessories for..
Hard to find one used, though, as most turners still have ours along with larger lathes because their just too nice a tool to give up.. YMWV

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:23:42 -0700, eganders wrote:

I bought one of the General mini-lathes with electronic variable speed and a swiveling and sliding head, as well as outboard turning off one end. I've been happy with mine. It weighs about 100 pounds.
They did have a problem early on with the electronics, but that seems to have been fixed now. And they give a lifetime warranty. But I would stay away from a used one unless it's quite recent. Here's a pointer:
http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-200.html
It's about $50 over your limit, but it does go on sale from time to time. Woodcraft carries it.