Need sources for free or VERY cheap wood

I am looking for sources of free or VERY cheap wood in the York PA area, Any suggestions?

Thanks Rich

Reply to
Rich

Pallets, crates, town dump, building demolition sites.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rich - What kind of wood are you looing for? Kondor Lumber is over near Wrightsville, up by Accomac Inn - but their stuff is green - you'll need to dry it. There's some hardwood dealers over in Lancaster - they're cheaper than HD or Lowes, but you'll still pay $2.50 + for red & white oak.

Where are you at in York? Maybe we can connect -

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Don't forget the cull bin at Home Depot. I made 3 quilting frames for my wife at a cost of about $5.00. They were that whitewood stuff, but they hold things off the ground.

Reply to
kenR

Is that the same Accomac Inn that is next to the river and back a narrow road off the main highway?

Strictly a white linen service place or it was 20 years ago.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hey Nick I live in Wrightsville! I have a very small shop, right now kinda getting back into my roots with the wood working. I am making bird feeders and houses small things like that until I get really into it. Still trying to aquire more power tools though. The router is next on my list but I need to sell some of my things first! Thanks for the reply and I will check into Konder.

Reply to
Rich

Yep

Nick

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Small bloody world.

Once again, just proves you can run, but you can't hide.

Thanks for the memory.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Rich - If you're doing small stuff you might try Sandy Pond Hardwoods in Lancaster County. They're actually in Buck on Hwy 272. Here's the link to their web site:

on "Contact Us", and there's a map. Actually you're fairly close being in Wrightsville. The cool thing about Sandy Pond is they have a couple of scrap bins where they put their cutoffs. They sell them for $1.00/lb. You can get some really nice small stuff. I made a Mission Style End Table, mostly from scrap cutoffs out of that pile. I got a really nice pice of 12/5 Mahogany, about 12"x9" that I'm going to incorporate into my workbench, and a bunch of white and red oak. They usually have a lot of maple (at least the last time I was there). REALLY nice people - they'll spend time with you to find what you want, they'll cut up larger stuff, and even give you 1 or 2 finished sides on it. They have a really cool saw that has a laser guide on it. Great place.

If you go farther south on Hwy 272 from Buck - about a mile - on the left (east) side is Groff & Groff Lumber. He's got just about anything you can imagine. Not much in the way of smaller cutoffs like Sandy Pond, and not nearly as nice. But, you can get some cut pieces of oak, maple, and other stuff, 3' - 4' long that he just wants to get rid of, for a fairly decent price.

Forgot to tell you before, Kondor is in the York phone book -

I have another really good place over in Duncansville, PA, toward Pittsburgh. It's about a two hour drive, and it really helps to have a pickup (due to the long drive, to make it worth the trip. I usually use my car, but I can't get a lot in it.).

Nick B

nnospambozovichatverizonnospamnet >To get my real email address, take out the "no spam" - if you want to email me direct

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Where are you at Lew??

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

error - on the Mahogany - it was 12/4 Nick....

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Have you tried dumpster diving? Have fun.

Reply to
kb8qlr

"Rich" wrote in news:gJZTb.3499$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

A tree in your neighbors back yard while they are on vacation?

Reply to
Joe Willmann

I've thought about that theres a nice oak next door!!! \

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Rich,

I live in Hershey but work in Lancaster. I don't know if you stop by on your way to Konder's but, High Steel Service Center in Lancaster has a bin out front that says free wood. I've never stopped myself, although I've been tempted a few time, but I would imagine that it is oak from pallets, since they sell steel coils and the such.

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Just don't leave a trail of sawdust leading to your garage door. DAMHIKT!!

Reply to
BIG JOE

Boy, I never even realized all these sources, I am glad I found this newsgroup. Thanks for all the great ideas

Rich

Reply to
Rich