Need sources for free or VERY cheap wood

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for sources of free or VERY cheap wood in the York PA area, Any suggestions?
Thanks Rich

Any
Pallets, crates, town dump, building demolition sites.
Rich - What kind of wood are you looing for? Kondor Lumber is over near Wrightsville, up by Accomac Inn - but their stuff is green - you'll need to dry it. There's some hardwood dealers over in Lancaster - they're cheaper than HD or Lowes, but you'll still pay $2.50 + for red & white oak.
Where are you at in York? Maybe we can connect -
Nick B

Any
says...

Don't forget the cull bin at Home Depot. I made 3 quilting frames for my wife at a cost of about $5.00. They were that whitewood stuff, but they hold things off the ground.
"Nick Bozovich" writes:

<snip>
Is that the same Accomac Inn that is next to the river and back a narrow road off the main highway?
Strictly a white linen service place or it was 20 years ago.
--
Lew

Yep
Nick

Southland)
"Nick Bozovich" writes:

Small bloody world.
Once again, just proves you can run, but you can't hide.
Thanks for the memory.
Lew
Where are you at Lew??
Nick B

Hey Nick I live in Wrightsville! I have a very small shop, right now kinda getting back into my roots with the wood working. I am making bird feeders and houses small things like that until I get really into it. Still trying to aquire more power tools though. The router is next on my list but I need to sell some of my things first! Thanks for the reply and I will check into Konder.
Rich - If you're doing small stuff you might try Sandy Pond Hardwoods in Lancaster County. They're actually in Buck on Hwy 272. Here's the link to their web site:
http://www.figuredhardwoods.com /
Click on "Contact Us", and there's a map. Actually you're fairly close being in Wrightsville. The cool thing about Sandy Pond is they have a couple of scrap bins where they put their cutoffs. They sell them for $1.00/lb. You can get some really nice small stuff. I made a Mission Style End Table, mostly from scrap cutoffs out of that pile. I got a really nice pice of 12/5 Mahogany, about 12"x9" that I'm going to incorporate into my workbench, and a bunch of white and red oak. They usually have a lot of maple (at least the last time I was there). REALLY nice people - they'll spend time with you to find what you want, they'll cut up larger stuff, and even give you 1 or 2 finished sides on it. They have a really cool saw that has a laser guide on it. Great place.
If you go farther south on Hwy 272 from Buck - about a mile - on the left (east) side is Groff & Groff Lumber. He's got just about anything you can imagine. Not much in the way of smaller cutoffs like Sandy Pond, and not nearly as nice. But, you can get some cut pieces of oak, maple, and other stuff, 3' - 4' long that he just wants to get rid of, for a fairly decent price.
Forgot to tell you before, Kondor is in the York phone book -
I have another really good place over in Duncansville, PA, toward Pittsburgh. It's about a two hour drive, and it really helps to have a pickup (due to the long drive, to make it worth the trip. I usually use my car, but I can't get a lot in it.).
Nick B
nnospambozovichatverizonnospamnet >To get my real email address, take out the "no spam" - if you want to email me direct

error - on the Mahogany - it was 12/4 Nick....

getting
Sometimes Lowes has some stuff out back,that is twisted, and you can cut into smaller legenths, they will sell cheap. Tony D.

getting
Heavy machine movers (riggers) are quite frequently taking large machine crates and good lumber to the dumps. They usually let the crate sections pile up in their warehouse or yard until they have a full truckload and then haul it away.
The local rigger that I know gets crates made out of all kinds of wood that are sometimes as large as about 8' x 8' x 30'. Quite often last year he seemed to have extremely large crates that were made from whole sheets of 3/4 AC plywood (real nice stuff). The last one that I got from him had been assembled with drywall screws (lucky me). After about an hour with my reversible drill I had 12 near perfect whole sheets of 3/4 AC plywood and a couple of half sheets, about 200 lineal ft of 1x4 pine, 23 - 2x4's 8-12 foot long, about 5 lbs of drywall screws in assorted lengths, and some broken stuff. (I left all the broken stuff in his pile). The skid under this crate had been made from three 6 x 10 pine runners with 3 x 10 rough sawn pine decking, but he said he was keeping the it to move another machine.
He also quite frequently has heavy timber 6 X 12's about 6' long which are usually pine, but sometimes red oak and hickory. Anytime I ask him for wood he gladly gives me all that I want, and then some. He tried to give me about 1/2 semi load of the stuff the last time that I asked him for some. If I don't take it, he says he has to pay the dump to take it and he has to haul it to them, so he's very cooperative and eager for me to take as much as I'm willing to. He told me that another guy had been taking wood from him back in 2001, but when he finished building a 2 car garage from it, he stopped coming by.
Look in the yellow pages for these guys. I'm sure that most of them would gladly give you all of the wood that you can use. Make good friends with them, respect their property while you are getting the wood, and ALWAYS clean up the mess before you leave and you may never have to buy another piece of common lumber.
Charley

need
If you have an archetectral wood shop in your area, check with them about scrap wood they are throwing out. I've gotten pieces of cherry, maple and mahogany at a shop near me. George
Have you tried dumpster diving? Have fun.
--
Be sure to check-out our webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

A tree in your neighbors back yard while they are on vacation?
I've thought about that theres a nice oak next door!!! \

Rich,
I live in Hershey but work in Lancaster. I don't know if you stop by on your way to Konder's but, High Steel Service Center in Lancaster has a bin out front that says free wood. I've never stopped myself, although I've been tempted a few time, but I would imagine that it is oak from pallets, since they sell steel coils and the such.
Chuck