Need some quick setting glue recommendations

I am making a model wooden trestle bridge for a Lionel train layout. Lots of small wooden pieces that need to be glued, many using butt joints. Anybody have any suggestions for a really quick setting adhesive. The normal woodworking glues takes too long, it would take forever to put this together. Jigs are out, there are just many different variations for the bridge supports being joined. My first thought was to use a hot glue gun but I was hoping that someone would have a better alternative.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed Walsh

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Cyanoacrylate glue (aka "Superglue") is extremely quick, just don't get it on your fingers. Plus, it sands off pretty easily if you get squeeze out or drips. Hot melt would work, and the Hipurformer system by Franklin (titebond) is excellent. However, this glue won't readily sand off - it needs to be sliced with a sharp chisel. You can buy different glues that cure at different rates, from 30 seconds up to a few minutes of working time. I'd go with that.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Pourous material and butt joints. I would use 5 minute epoxy. I haven't had the best of luck with any viscosity of super glue to hold together on a butt joint.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Medium "CA", probably sold at the same place you get your trains.

Some common brand names are Zap, Balsa USA, and Hot Stuff, but there are many.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Framer's trick - rub chalk on the end grain...it fills depressions and turns rock hard and smooth when the cyanoacrylate hits it.

Reply to
dadiOH

The "thick" formulations of CA also work well.

Reply to
B A R R Y