Need Some Ideas

Some time back I told how I used my hand power plans to round out stock in my wood lathe. Had planed a side of a couple of chunks of 2X4, glued them together, then turned 3 different weight carver mallets for the older kid. Wasn't about to waste any of the good wood on him. LOL Yeah, it worked nicely, and the mallets came out good, but now I want a bit more accuracy, so want to make a jig.
What I want is to be able to rest the plane, move it back in forth a few inches, still supporting each end. This will allow a nice consistent lever trim - the first time it was hand held. Be plenty easy to make, except I want to make it adjustable for different diameters. Be plenty easy to make, except I don't want to use any metal in the jig, I don't care to have metal in any of my jigs, they're all fastened by glue only.
I want to keep this relatively simple, with no loose, or additional pars - nothing to get lost or misplaced that is. I've come up with one or two Rube Goldberg ideas, that would be fine for fun, but not to actually use, so they're out. The other ideas all have multiple, removable parts, which I've already said I don't want.
Hmm, even as I type an idea comes to me. No prob making a wooden hinge for the back, and I think cam clamps, pressing on laminated (for strength) blocks to hold it securely in position. Or, if I go this route, possibly another idea for holding it up will occur as I make it. Or, as I type - a hinged catch in front, that would lock it at different heights. Once the wood is rounded the jig will be lifted off, and the rest of the mallet turned using conventional lathe tools.
Yep, I think I've got it covered. But still be interested in any ideas anyone else might have, just in case.
If you're wondering, none of thiss has been put on paper, and won't be. I just visualize it in my mind. In color. Plans? Plans? Don' need no steenkin' plans. Ah, life is basically good.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
On Jan 20, 8:19pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

What about sticking with your hinge idea but using a screw made of all- thread. Make a simple knuckle swivel on the fixed end of the jig and run the all thread through a T nut on the hinge side of the jig. Stick a hand wheel on the end of the all thread and you can crank the jig up and down infinitely over the piece. A simple window in the hinge over the blank and a ledger on the bottom edge would hold the planer on the jig table allowing you to slide it back and forth across the blank.
Better yet switch to a router with a guide bush and a solid carbide endmill and just cut a slot in the table to accommodate the router/ bush. Only drawback to that option would be the jig/slot/routher would have to remain over the axis of the lathe center while it hinged down. A vote for the planer.
Even better option is to simply stay with square blanks for the mallet. Thats what we do. small chamfer on all edges and call it done.
Build it, Mark
Sun, Jan 20, 2008, 8:37pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com did posteth: What about sticking with your hinge idea but using a screw made of all- thread.<snip> Better yet switch to a router <snip> Even better option is to simply stay with square blanks for the mallet. Thats what we do. small chamfer on all edges and call it done.
I did say: " I don't want to use any metal in the jig, I don't care to have metal in any of my jigs, they're all fastened by glue only. " No metal.
No router.
No, turned carver mallets. NO flat faced, too much room for error using those.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

You probably said why years ago, but I can't remember and have to ask: why don't you just use conventional lathe tools to rough to round?
Mon, Jan 21, 2008, 5:56am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (LobbyDosser) doth queryeth: You probably said why years ago, but I can't remember and have to ask: why don't you just use conventional lathe tools to rough to round?
Probably because someone had told me it couldn't be done, and wasn't safe to try. They couldn't come up with a valid reason why, except the blade would ctch. Now this power plan blade rotates at about a zillion RPM and it'll zip thru knots like they're not even there, so I couldn't see any problem with using it on clear wood (no nails, etc.) spinning at a few hundred RPM, so I did it. Either that or it was because I'd just gotten my power plane and wanted to play with it. Hell, that was over two days ago, you can't expect me to remember details from that long ago. Besides, woodworking is supposed to be fun, and it sure was fun.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
Mon, Jan 21, 2008, 5:56am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (LobbyDosser) doth queryeth: You probably said why years ago, but I can't remember and have to ask: why don't you just use conventional lathe tools to rough to round?
Besides what I just said, how many times can you figure out how to use TWO powertools at the exact same time? I'm thinking it might be best to leave it at two tho, It might not be such a good idea trying to include a circular saw too. It's like Two-Finger Jack always said, "Nothing ventured, nothing lost". LMAO
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
Besides what I just said, how many times can you figure out how to use TWO powertools at the exact same time? I'm thinking it might be best to leave it at two tho, It might not be such a good idea trying to include a circular saw too. It's like Two-Finger Jack always said, "Nothing ventured, nothing lost". LMAO
Your method sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
The usual method is to mark the diameter you want on the end with a compass, then if you do not want to chip it all the way down with the lathe chisel then saw the corners off prior to mounting the blank on the lathe.
--

Roger Shoaf

Mon, Jan 21, 2008, 8:59pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@nospamsyix.com (RogerShoaf) doth claimeth: Your method sounds like an accident waiting to happen. The usual method is to mark the diameter you want on the end with a compass, then if you do not want to chip it all the way down with the lathe chisel then saw the corners off prior to mounting the blank on the lathe.
Maybe with a regular hand plane, but I'm using a hand 'power' plane. Zen woodworking.
Something make you think I didn't know the 'usual' method. I wasn't clear enough on that? I have known , and done it that way, for years, but chose to move on. The Woodworking Gods like it. So, no prob.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

FWIW, we got a mountain out here called "Three-Fingered Jack". Actually it is a volcano.