Need some help from you Advanced wood men/women please

Page 4 of 4

You could take your time and hunt around for a good deal on an old Unisaw or PM66 and save a little money to do some refurb on it. Just a thought.

Raise your price range and you will be happier in the long run. Be prepared to spend $750-$1000 and be done with it! spend less I will guarantee you will be either upgrading parts of the saw you buy, (the fence perhaps), or just simply replacing it all with yet another saw! I went through this a few years ago and bought a Delta contractors saw. I am pleased with the saw for the type of work I do and don't believe I will ever replace it. The down side is that same saw in close to $1000 now. Greg
Nascar Raiders wrote:

I've read some of the other responses. Sure, if you want to wait a while until you can spend $1000 and get a cabinet saw, that's good advice. However, if you're like me, the budget is the budget and even six months from now it's still going to be $500-600 because that's the amount that you're willing to spend. If that's the case, go with a contractor saw but be sure to get a name brand and investigate the specifications carefully. Jet, Delta, Powermatic, General, Grizzly etc. Check out the Grizzly G0444Z. You can get it for about $600 including shipping. Google that model number for lots of discussions from me and other folks. The fence alone will rock your world after using the benchtop and 2 HP is enough for most of us.
There are a lot of very accomplished woodworkers in this group with extremely well equipped shops that are perfectly happy and do incredible work with a contractor saw. I suspect many of them used the money they saved on another machine or some exotic hardwood.
Tom
Grizzly offers this in both a 220v 3 hp motor or the 2 hp 110v I would think for my needs the 2 hp would be enough, or for the same price should I go ahead and get the 220v 3 hp ? Sure am glad I checked with you guys first and thanks to all of you for the advice.....alot of money, but sounds like it will be worth it in the long run. Paul
Hi Paul,
Get the 3HP and don't look back. Do it right and be done with it. I got the 3HP on my 1023SL. With a good blade (like the Forrest WWII which I finally sprung for), that saw goes through 8/4 oak like "butter" (sorry).
Good luck!
Lou

I have the 3hp and am happy with it. Although I have a buddy who has the 2HP version and is more than happy with it. I think he just wimped out on running the 220v. He does have some trouble keeping the breaker from popping. More than reason enough for me to get the 3hp 220v version.
Chris

The Grizzly is a good choice, and you will never need to buy another saw again. In fact, your descendants can keep using it long after you are gone. Jim
Definitely, if you have 220 power/socket available and the price difference is indeed 0, get the 3hp.
John

USED. I repeat, USED.
Whether you want to buy a $250 used contractors saw or a $600 used cabinet saw depends on your budget and workshop. I have bought a used table saw, radial arm saw, jointer, biscuit joiner, and a whole mess of smaller shop tools. I am very satisfied with all of them. (Sadly I had to buy a new planer; they just don't seem to be available used in decent condition) I have also bought 3 used houses, and even a used diamond in my wife's engagement ring. Sounds cheap? Well she kinda enjoys it when everyone's mouth drops open when they see it; and only she (and now all of you) know it is used and cost 1/3rd the price of a new one.
Can't quite bring myself to buy a used car. The warranty seems more important than the small price break.
USED

As you can see, there are many replies. All good advice too.
I will take a 2HP single phase 220 volt saw over a 3HP 3-phase if the 2HP has a good fence and runs vibration-free and has a flat top. Precision is more important to me than power. A cabinet saw with a Biesemeyer is what I would buy. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that a cabinet saw is easier to set up for dust collection? The contractor saws often have stamped steel wings.. or the open-webbed type of cast iron wings. I don't like those. I absolutely hate the look of the stands. Which brand of cabinet saw? After all the stuff I have been reading from this credible bunch in this news-group, I would not hesitate to buy a Grizzly. Personally I'd buy a General, but that's because I'm a flag-waving damn proud Canadian. In other words, don't listen to me. General does build a quality product. No doubt it's worth that little extra money.
For What It's Worth.

I to am going to jump on the Grizzly band wagon here. I purchased mine about 3 years ago ( a 1023s) and am very happy with it. I also had a tight budget at the time and thought I could get a decent table saw for 300 to 400 dollars....heh, silly me. Then I found the wreck and read many of the same replies you are getting now. Save a bit longer and get a good cabinet saw. took me about 3 hours to assemble the Grizz. It also passed the nickel test on the first start! And yes, you can believe Grizzly's marketing.
Paul.

And yes, you can believe Grizzly's marketing.

I do not think ya even need to listen to Grizzly's marketing. You can just listen from their customers. I have had nothing but the best service every time I have dealt with Grizzly. They do seem to come as a highly respected outfit as well.
To be honest, I have not heard a bad word about them (although I am sure there are some out there).
I have three items from them over 500lbs each. All three made it here the next day after ordering. I returned one freight item and it was as painless as possible, actually almost a joy after dealing with some other outfits.
Chris
I was in the same spot a few years ago; the craftsman wouldn't do anymore. I picked up a used Unisaw from a cabinet shop closing down. Best thing I ever did for my shop. I have also had good luck with Grizzly, so just get the best you can afford at the time. Look for used equipment, you may find a great buy. Gary