Need some help from you Advanced wood men/women please

Hint: You DON'T need to spend a thousand dollars on your saw.

Get a contractors saw with a CAST IRON TOP. I got mine for around 300 bucks americano. Works like a champ.

My shop and some older projects:

Reply to
stoutman

"stoutman" wrote in news:DCqZe.1821$ua.126940 @twister.southeast.rr.com:

Why not? I'm 60 now, and my Crapsman has served me pretty well for 20+ years of mostly inactivity. I earn my money doing research, and my boss is almost 80, but still going very strong.

I may or may not get a "better" tablesaw sometime, who knows when I will retire ...

Reply to
Han

Checked out my web site did you? This is true of table saws, cameras, golf clubs, cookware, etc. You still need skill. Sounds like you have it; good for you. That said, it is more convenient, possibly faster, and yes, there is a feeling of satisfaction that comes from using quality accurate tools. I could drive a Yugo and get to work every day, but prefer my Buick with all the powered features.

I like being able to move the Biesemeyer fence, line up the cursor, and lock it in place and KNOW is is going to cut at the stated dimension, every time. And know that if I rip 1, 10, 20, or 50 boards, it is till locked in the same place.

Sure, why not? I know of one guy that is 80 and still using his. You aren't prejudiced against older people are you? Shees, I just turned 60 last week so should I turn in my tools?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was simply making the point that the quality of product is not driven by the size of the TS price tag, but rather by the quality of the craftsman.

If I believed the old "you have to have the $1000 TS" attitude, I would never have tried this awesome hobby. Sure a $1000 TS would be nice, but IT IS NOT NECESSARY.

I was NOT referring to you, but the attitude of many.

Reply to
stoutman

Absolutely you should turn them in. You're much too old for all those tools Ed, so I'll help you to act your age by taking them off your hands. Let me know where I can pick them up. And there's no need for you to feel obligated to me. Throw in a case of beer and we'll call it even, ok?

Reply to
Upscale

Nice web site by the way.

I'm no Krenov or Maloof, and I probably never will be, but I doubt my projects would be any better if I had a Beisemeyer fence and a $1000 TS. I think all I need is more experience, heck I think for a 3rd year rookie Im not doing that bad. I don't think I or anyone NEEDS a $1000 TS unless you do this for a living. For me its just a hobby and probably just a hobby for the OP.

Reply to
stoutman

Thanks,

Absolutely

Fine furniture was made before the power table saw. True, no one NEEDS a better one, but the op was looking to upgrade. If you are going to upgrade, get something that is truly better, more convenient, etc. I started out with a cheap Craftsman direct drive saw and it served me well for a couple of years. Not knowing how well I'd do or if I'd be serious abut the hobby, it was a good move. But, when I moved up, I went at least two notches. One frustration with the benchtop was cross cutting wide boards. Moving up to a full sized contractor model gave me a few more inches of space in front of hte blade. It was great.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I drug them out by the curb. Get here soon because rain is expected Tuesday.

Sorry, I'm really low on beer. How about a bottle of bourbon or a single malt Scotch instead?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And yes, you can believe Grizzly's marketing.

I do not think ya even need to listen to Grizzly's marketing. You can just listen from their customers. I have had nothing but the best service every time I have dealt with Grizzly. They do seem to come as a highly respected outfit as well.

To be honest, I have not heard a bad word about them (although I am sure there are some out there).

I have three items from them over 500lbs each. All three made it here the next day after ordering. I returned one freight item and it was as painless as possible, actually almost a joy after dealing with some other outfits.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I suppose the bourbon will have to do. Good show. Now go find a senior's home to move into like you're supposed to do. Glad to see that you've come to your senses.

Reply to
Upscale

I have a home made table saw, which I made about 25 years ago. It has had many modifications, but has served me well. The original had a wishing machine motor and this was only replaced about 2 years ago. I dream of a $1500 table saw but we make do with what we have and what we can afford. There always seems to be another better and or more practical use for that few extra bob when it comes along. I have made to many pieces of furniture with this old beast to count, and one day, when I do get my dream saw I think I will be very sad to see her finally go. John

Reply to
John B

No affiliation, not even a customer, but here's a link I stashed away:

guy sells second hand woodworking equipment. His list shows a unisaw for $750. Obviously not a good site if the OP doesn't live in Milwaukee, but there're bound to be similar outfits in OP's neck of the woods.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Reply to
nospambob

I didn't realize that there was a Shop Fox fence that clamped in the back, but indeed some of the saws in the catalog have a dual clamping fence.

Most of the Grizzly table saws ship with the Shop Fox Classic or the Aluma Classic fence. These are Bies clones that lock only in the front. The Aluma Classic came on my G0444Z contractor saw. Thoe only difference that I can see is the material on the face. Let's face it, part of the reason the Bies is so good is its simplicity, which makes it easy to copy. I'd bet good money that the Shop Fox copies are every bit as good as the real Bies fences. The guide and clamping mechanism is extremely solid, and it can be tuned to perfection. What else do you need?

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Sorry. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I just figured you oldies can't drive so how can you still use a table saw? :) ---JUST KIDDING!!!

Again. I'm sorry I offended any seniors.

Reply to
stoutman

Don't let a few opinions turn you away from a fence that locks down front and back. I own an Excalibur that locks down both sides and I'll match it cut for cut any day with a Bies or clone of a Bies fence. Bies fences just happen to be more popular. That doesn't for one second mean that all others are no good. Go and decide for yourself.

My Excalibur is easy to set up, maintains its accuracy quite well and doesn't interfere in the least with an outfeed table. The space need for the

1" wide back rail doesn't effect outfeed to a table at all. There's advantages and disadvantages (small ones in both cases) to both types.
Reply to
Upscale

The original observation was mine. If you'll re-read the whole thing, you'll see that I commented that my Shop Fox fence always locked down straight and parallel, which is what it's suppose to do. I have absolutely no complaint about the fence itself.

My observation was that with any fence, (I've ever seen) that locked in both the front and back, it is extremely difficult to build extension tables out the back of the saw. With my fence, there with simply have to be a six inch gap between the saw and any extension table I might create.

(I was unaware that Shop Fox, at least now, has a fence that locks only in the front.)

My observation was that I wish I had popped for a few extra dollars and bought the Biesemeyer......

Clear now.

Reply to
Amused

[snip]

Saying you need a $1000 TS to be a better woodworker is like saying if you buy a $1000 microphone you'll be a better singer --

Reply to
World Traveler

I liken it to student violin or similar...initially, there's no need for a Strad for a beginner, but if there is real talent, at some point the tool can become a limiting factor...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Gary Alan