Need some help from you Advanced wood men/women please

Page 2 of 4

Sorry. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I just figured you oldies can't drive so how can you still use a table saw? :) ---JUST KIDDING!!!
Again. I'm sorry I offended any seniors.
wrote in message

I just renewed my license for another 6 years. They really should have a test to get some of the really bad old people off the road. Some are down right scary.

Careful, you may get to be one of us some day.

Certainly not ALL bad drivers are old folks. But I don't seem to drive as well as I used to. Or maybe I simply pay better attention to my lack of paying attention these days. ;-)

Only if he's lucky.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

in my experience. I'd love to see laws passed in every state in the union that would make it a crime to use a cell phone in a vehicle with the engine running. Even if it's a hands-free model. I use a cell phone while driving and find it a distraction. I'd be more than happy to give up the privilege if it meant getting 100 million other distracted drivers off of theirs.
Dave

The only one I can control is me. If you find the cell phone distracting, let the call roll to voicemail, have a passenger take the call, or pull over safely. I think that what I do behind the wheel is the major factor in the safety of my trip, regardless of the driving habits of the others around me.
As to influencing the behavior of young women, that's an area in which I have very little track record of success...
Patriarch
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:49:25 -0500, Patriarch

We may be putting to much on cell phone use. Is that really any more distractiong than one of those "100 button" CD player/radios or a satellite navigation system? The heater A/C has become a mind boggling thing to run. New car dash boards look like the bridge of the star ship enterprise these days. Add a cup of hot coffee, a cigarette, an Egg McMuffin and two screaming kids in the back seat ... it's no wonder we need air bags.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

distraction also. I have to lean quite a way over to reach it, taking my eyes off the road. :)
While no law will achieve 100% compliance, a no-phone-while-driving law would certainly curtail much of the gabbing, just like mandatory seat belt and helmet laws have increased the usage of both. I realize that phones are more difficult for law enforcement officials to spot, as compared to seat belts and helmets so I suppose there will be plenty of scofflaws.
Dave

I'm guessing that you only notice the cellphone users who are driving badly; the ones who aren't, you don't see, because they're _not_. So, maybe it's a case of "bad drivers are bad drivers" rather than "a cellphone makes a good driver become a bad driver".
As with so many other things, it's the person, not the tool, that determines good or bad.

Maybe so, but I have to believe that cellphones are an undesirable distraction to anyone while driving. I remember once when I was standing in line in the little corner grocery store in my building. Some guy came in while talking to his girlfriend on his cellphone. By the way he looked around, I knew right away that he was looking for the cash machine. I watched him walk around the store looking for it while still talking on the phone. He passed by it three times before I pointed it out to him. If he'd have been driving a car at the time, I'd have run for cover.
Upscale wrote:

What I find interesting is the range of ability to divide attention.
On one hand, there are the people who can be in the here and now first, while talking on the phone second. On the other, are the folks who simply cannot do ANYTHING ELSE while they talk.
The type and content of the conversation itself can move most people up or down the scale. Having enough self awareness to know when we've gotten into the latter category is key.
If more folks could recognize, and/or accept where they fall on the scale, I'll bet we wouldn't need more laws.
People who lean towards the scary category can get in trouble simply conversing with a passenger or listening to talk radio. They don't even need a phone.
B a r r y wrote:

can concentrate. She's learned I'm not being rude; just prudent.
Dave
Upscale wrote:

you sits stock still, engaged in conversation?
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

intersection. they aren't all driving badly, but nearly every young female driver is on a phone. I'm in CA. maybe it's not as bad elsewhere in the country??
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

firearms in public? :) See what happens if you have a loaded gun in sight when stopped by a police officer... Some conveniences like phones cause much frustration and harm. ever tried to enjoy a quiet dinner with the wife in an otherwise cozy restaurant, only to have the mood broken by some loud mouthed bozo yakking away on his phone in the next booth?
Dave

In most civilized states, that specific thing _is_ allowed, and it has reduced violent crime in every one of them.

Depends on if you're in an open-carry state, I guess? (shrug)

There's another example. That guy is a rude loudmouth, regardless of the fact that he's on a cellphone. The phone didn't turn him _into_ a rude loudmouth.

... and if he were sitting with someone else and without a cell phone, you would get to hear his loud, obnoxious conversation with his dining companion (BTDT).
OTOH, it does seem that a lot of people tend to speak much more loudly when using a cell phone than when engaged in normal conversation.
IMO, we really don't need more laws, what we need is more training in proper etiquette and being polite around others. The old fashioned virtues of being concerned about what the other person thinks about us, not making others wait because we are engaged in some activity that will cause them to have to delay for us (even if they only "have to slow down for 30 seconds" to go around us - remember that's not *your* 30 seconds of their time to waste), remembering that others are sensitive to sights, sound, and smells (and I'm not just talking perfume here -- I'd rather smell perfume than unwashed body any day), and all of those other little things that make a civilized society, well, civilized.
says...

IOW, it'll never happen. Even in past days, those "old-fashioned virtues" only held sway among the middle and upper classes.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

I'm not arguing for "perfectability", but when you look around you, our society is much more crude than it was even 1 generation ago. There may have been pockets of such crudity in earlier times, but this has become the norm rather than the exception in our society.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Personally I notice a lot more than just bad drivers talking on the cell while driving. What I think of most often is when you see a mother/father or even worse both in a car with a kid, two or three going down the road and the parent(s) is babbling away when they could, or in my opinion should, be interacting with their children. Playing word games, alphabet on the signs, "how was your day johnny?", and so on. Of course no one knows if they already had these conversations, the call is a brief one and interupting the word games, and so on. That said it seems more an more with in car TV, DVDs, cell, etc. parent/child interaction is taking a back seat to a peaceful car ride or a call from the office.
I have always thought they should offer a cheaper option than the in car DVD player. An IV bag could simply hang on the dry cleaning hook in the car/SUV and just jack your kids into a slow drip of morphine. Tie a diaper around their chin to catch the droole from landing on the leather seats and just drive til' your hearts content. It would surely be cheaper than a in car DVD and lets face it, it would serve the same exact purpose.
;) Mark

Nope.
While there are certainly bad drivers that don't use phones, ANY telephone usage, including ear phones and speaker phones, dramatically reduces ANY driver's attention, and ultimately, ability. It's not the instrument, itself, it's the nature of the activity. Listening to the radio is essentially a passive activity. By it's very nature, talking on a phone is an active distraction and ironically, the more important the phone call, the greater the distraction.
It's not gender-specific or age-specific, either. Anyone talking on a phone and driving a car is not devoting the appropriate amount attention to either activity.