Need some help building bandsaw stand

I need to build a new stand for my Old jet 14in bandsaw. the 3/4hp motor burned out and I bought a 1.5 hp to replace it but it no longer fits in the old position so under the saw it will go. I need suggestions on how to set it up so I can adjust the belt tension. It is too cold to work in the shop this week so I am doing some planning.
Thinking of a shelf that pivots on one end then hangs on all thread on the other, one nut on top of shelf and doublenut on the bottom. I would cut a piece of 3/4 black pipe the width of the shelf and place it under the shelf which has a hole through the center point to run the all thread through. Pipe is to distribute weight and motor torque. The cabinet will be made from 3/4 ply and oak frame (I have a lot of oak scraps). A long winded description.
Does this seem reasonable? Thanks
Tvfarmer wrote: > I need to build a new stand for my Old jet 14in bandsaw. the 3/4hp > motor burned out and I bought a 1.5 hp to replace it but it no > longer fits in the old position so under the saw it will go. I need > suggestions on how to set it up so I can adjust the belt tension.
Use the weight of the motor to provide the tension.
A couple of pieces of 3/4 ply glued together for a motor platform with a couple of entry door butt hinges bolted on one end and your done.
I have several applications running including an epoxy resin mixing system and a jointer as examples.
Have fun.
Lew

I would prefer to add some tensioners in the form of bolts bearing against the new motor mount to keep the thing from climbing on start and vibrating. Nuts and jam nuts.

Sure does. That should work fine.
The other way to do it is a bit tougher, depending on your tools- a lot of times, there is a metal strap with long obround hole in the center that is used to set the tension, and the shelf cinches down to that with a wingnut. The allthread with the pipe sounds like an easier job to fabricate, and should be even stronger. Nice idea!

I have a closed base Jet, and adjusting the tension was a PITA. I finally used a hydraulic bottle jack to hold up the motor while I was adjusting the tension.
Thanks for the responses - one more addition with the upgrade should I also switchto a segmented belt - does it add much to a band saw?

I recently put a 1 1/2 h.p. motor on my 28-276 Delta. It came with only a 3/4 h.p. motor. My youngest son found me a good used Baldor and like your situation it was too big to mount in the same location as the original motor. I will put some pictures on a.b.p.w to show how I mounted it. I put a power twist belt on mine and it definitely reduced vibration. Earl Creel