Need some creative thinking

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:
http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Schwinn-Sign/25840307_PSLwCF
He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.
Thanks for any advice.
-Jim
On 10/9/12 5:54 PM, jtpr wrote:

Incorporate some sort of bicycle parts into that area to cover it up, or perhaps some other, smaller Schwinn logo/icon. Whatever it is, it could extend beyond the borders of the rectangle of that sign.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/9/2012 5:54 PM, jtpr wrote:

wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Apparently it is plastic, cut it smaller/square and build a light box behind it as part of the frame.
"jtpr" wrote:

Place a mat behind it like you do with any picture being framed, then frame it.
If you use a gray mat, it will highlight the defect.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- Correction ( It was late that night), the mat goes on top of the sign and will totally hide the broken corner.
Mount the sign on a piece of ply.
Make a mat using a door skin (1/8" ply) with a retangular opening inside the door skin that allows about a 6" overlay per side of the sign.
Paint the door skin light gray or similar neutral color.
Picture frame the whole ball of wax.
Crack open a brewski and admire your work.
Lew
"jtpr" wrote in message
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:
http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Schwinn-Sign/25840307_PSLwCF
He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.
Thanks for any advice.
-Jim
Standard rectangle frame with triangles in all corners.. WW

wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Rather than try to hide the defect, use it to your advantage. I'd make a frame that had the corner missing. Run a couple of braces behind the sign to hold the frame square.
On 10/9/2012 9:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

+1
Give it an artistic presence.

Agree with that. A matching damaged corner to compliment the already damaged sign.

wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Hack the bottom left off so it matches the bottom right, hack the flange off, then use a dadoed frame around it? Or match all 4 corners so it looks like it was built that way.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 19:54:30 -0700, Larry Jaques

wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

This idea works as well as WW's idea. If you could match the plastic in color you could da a repair. Only other idea is cut the plastic to a straight line and do a custom frame.
Mike M
On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:54:13 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:

Attach it to a piece of plywood. Build a frame over the edges. Mount an bicycle seat or some other interesting bicycle related part over the missing chunk. Maybe even some other small Schwinn logo sign or framed photo, etc. The extra item will look like it belongs there as an embelishment, vs hiding the flaw.
jtpr wrote the following on 10/9/2012 6:54 PM (ET):

wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Paint the backing in that area the same color as the sign, or attach a piece of matching plastic it to the back of the sign and paint that.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:54:13 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:

Other suggestions are good; you might consider make a face frame that has an elliptical or oval aperture. Start with wide boards joined to make the frame, then do the loop-of-string-and-two-nails thing to lay out an ellipse. Rout the aperture to the elliptical shape.
Possibly, also, get a local sign shop to make you a new sign, you can get your choice of colors, fonts, size, text, etc.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but after looking at the picture, I have a hard time imagining a frame that WOULDN'T hold the sign, regardless of the broken corner & side.

The sign is as it is.
Use photomount adhesive* to carefully fix to a piece of MDF painted a neutral colour and frame leaving a border all round just like you might when framing a photograph.
* Usual disclaimer, check to see if the adhesive affects the plastic first.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On 10/9/2012 3:54 PM, jtpr wrote:

wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

french cleat