need recipe for deep red cherry using dyes

I need a recipe for getting that deep red cherry look using TransTint or TransFast Dyes, will finish w/ shellac
Thanks

Is there a reason that you have to use those specific dyes?
If you're actually using cherry wood, try two tablespoons of Red Devil lye dissolved in one pint of water. Wear rubber gloves, and don't splash the stuff in your eyes.

Here's the formula that I start with to make the stain that looks like what I call "Showroom Cherry" : 1-1/2 teaspoons of Transtint Medium Brown, 3/4 blue, 3/4 yellow, 1/4 red in 8oz of alcohol or water.
Try it on a test piece and then you can mess with the proportions to suit. Usually I play aroung with the amount of red.
If you are spraying on the shellac you can use the same formula in one quart of shellac as a toner. I use nitro lacquer as a finish and so have no problems with the alcohol dye migrating into the finish. I don't know if it might do that with shellac.
": : Here's the formula that I start with to make the stain that looks like : what I call "Showroom Cherry" : 1-1/2 teaspoons of Transtint Medium : Brown, 3/4 blue, 3/4 yellow, 1/4 red in 8oz of alcohol or water. : : Try it on a test piece and then you can mess with the proportions to : suit. Usually I play aroung with the amount of red. : : If you are spraying on the shellac you can use the same formula in one : quart of shellac as a toner. I use nitro lacquer as a finish and so : have no problems with the alcohol dye migrating into the finish. I : don't know if it might do that with shellac. : : : Regards, Tom : Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker : Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania : http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Thanks for that recipe Tom, I'm going to put that in my archives....
Bob
Tom I'm sure your happy with the color you are getting, I would point out that you have a conflict in your formula, The Blue and Yellow make green and green kills red. This is a basic fundamental on mixing colors
Try working with Black, Yellow and Red you may be able to simplify your formula Good luck, George

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:21:17 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

Thanks, George. I made this formula with what I had on hand at the time, which did not include black. I'll try it your way some day, when I've got time.
I think that the best place to get the information is to call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. The number is 216-631-5309. In my opinion, Jeff is the best at this stuff and TransTint is his product.
Bob
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; I need a recipe for getting that deep red cherry look using TransTint or<BR>&gt; TransFast Dyes, will finish w/ shellac<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
RWM wrote:

Another option would be to buy Jeff's book "Great Wood Finishes". In it he give the details of his "Colonial Cherry" methods. It involves the use of dyes, glazes and toners.

You are correct. Jeff has a series of books, and I have not found a bad one.
Bob McBreen
Joe,
I know this is not what you are asking for, but look down a few threads for one I posted about a cherry clock I am working on. Take a look at it and see the colour I achieved from fuming with ammonia.
Thanks,
David.