Need plans for child's step stool

I'm looking for some plans for a simple step stool for a small child to put in front of the sink so he can brush his teeth. Nothing fancy needed, but I'd like it to be a very sturdy stool when finished. Normally I'd have no problem just paying for plans for something I'd build but this is so small and simple that it's hard to justify the expense unless they're really, really cheap. Anyone know where I can find plans for a stool like this?

put in

like
just
that
Anyone
Plans? Cut a 1 x 10 board to about 18". Cut two more pieces to 6". Screw them in place at t he ends. At a cross support between the two ends. Screw that in place for rigidity. Ed
says...

Same thing, only different: 1x8 board, 18" for seat, cut 2 at 12" for legs, add 4 bits of 8" long 1/4-round for bracing. Make a capital "H" glue & screw the seat (crossbar) at about 1/3:2/3 ratio. Glue & tack the 1/4 round as extra bracing on both sides. If momma's afraid that this will collapse, then add a handle across the top between the sides- use a 1x2 and if you want to get fancy dovetail it in.
Made a matched pair of cheap pine for my friend's twin grandkids- they use them for everything- chairs, stepstools, tables, play surfaces.

I like a half dovetailed diagonal crossbrace, very sturdy.
--
McQualude

I made a step stool out of poplar and red oak (cheap!). Check it out at ABPW.

put in

like
just
that
Anyone

What's ABPW?
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I took a look and didn't see anything posted over the last 30 days that looked like it would match this subject. Google doesn't even list that group, so I can't search that archives. Do you have any pics or plans you could post again or email to me?
E-mailed!

looked
again
I just made one for my kids and could take a pic and send it to you if you want. No plans, but it might give you an idea.
Scott

put in

like
just
that
Anyone
Keep getting mail returned . E-mail me so I have the proper address.
Scott snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com

I'd
On 16 Jan 2004 20:57:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

I stumbled across the following link when looking for the same thing a couple of weeks back:
http://www.furnitureplans.com/pi_category_free/free
I really enjoyed learning some new tricks and this was my first non-stationary project. Learned ripping, doweling, and drum sanding. Now I get to prime and paint (with my son of course), and then he can enjoy the heck out of it!
Chris Mooney

One step, or two?
for a single step one, the _simplest_ design calls for about 3' of 2x10. Cut 2 7" (7", plus the 1-1/2" thickness of the top, puts you close to the 9" riser height of a 'standard' stair-step. adjust actual dimension to suit) sections for the feet, If you're feeling 'artistic', trim 'em sort-of like this: (view with fixed-pitch font)
+---------------+ \ / \ / / \ / \ / \ / +-----+ \ +------+ +------+
possibly with curves, instead of the straight lines shown.
The 'notch' on the bottom *is* important, it makes the stool have 4 'legs' in contact w/ the ground.
The remaining not-quite 2' section is the 'top'. space the leg sections in about 3-4" from each end. run 2 big (like 3-1/2" #12) wood screws down from above into each leg section.
Sand all parts smooth, and knock down any sharp edges, before assembling.
Add a couple coats of paste wax, and Voila!
If paranoid, wrap a scrap of carpet around the top, and nail to the underside of the top, along the long edges.
A two-step stool can be almost as simple.
two side pieces, that look like this:
with 'steps' at the 'obvious' places, held to the sidewall w/ a 2x2 'brace':
then add a cross-brace vertical, for lateral stability
simple screw-and-glue assembly.