need plans for boot/shoe rack

Hello,

Well, winter being cold, wet and muddy, our entry way is getting to be a minor disaster area w/ everybodies boots and shoes. Training kids to keep things lined up and orderly appears to be an exercise in futility ;) So, I figure this will make a good first 'house' project: A boot/shoe rack for the entry way to organize and store all the boots, snow boots, shoes, etc.

I searched the groups.google.com archives for rec.woodworking, as well as just googling for 'woodworking plans boot rack' (substituted 'shoe' in there also, and even dug thru images.google.com for just plain pictures. I didn't come up w/ much, and a fair number of the links were broken (old).

If anybody has some up-to-date links to plans/pictures I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA,

nuk

Reply to
nuk

I asked the same question on another group not long ago and a fellow woodworker responded with a link to a page that has one you can look at. Is a fairly simple design, it would seem, but very functional. Of course I could not come up with the idea myself.

The website has a few popups but otherwise is clean.

He also was kind enough to mail me some guidelines on the build. Here is the text of the email he sent me. If you do use this, please send a thank you to Mr. Engelstad through his website for credit due.

Not much to the construction of the boot rack. It is made up os a couple of side panels and shelves. The side panels are pine board glued up to form a panel and then cit to any desired shape. The shelves are nothing more than a wide pine board that can be purchases in the wide width or glued up to you own width. I routed stop dado's in the side panels for the shelves to sit in. The feet are nothing more than a scrap od pine board and screwed to the bittom of the side panel. A couple of pine stiffeners along the back to keep it sturdy and that is pretty much it. Along the front edge of each shelf is a retainer made from pine. It attaches to the side panels as well. It is not attached to the shelves as there needs to be a gap betwen the retainer and the shelf for moiture and debris to escape that may fall off the footwear. I had to visit my web site just to see what picture was on there. I could not tremember, as I have meade several of them for sutomers. The one pictured was painted in a forest green color sides with clear coated pine shelves. It seemed to be the craze back then. :) I also cut a hear design in the side panels to give it a little design. The inside of the heart is painted red to celebrate the desing feature and make it eye catching.

I hope this helps you out. The construction is very simple. Estimate the size of area in which the rack wil go (height, width, length). Build a couple of panels according to the height and width. Cut them to any desired shape. Make the shelves according to the length and simply attach them at any desired slope to the side panels. It is a pretty easy project, simple and fast and is very popular with those who see it. I am sure that you will be asked to make more once a few of your guests see yours.

John V

Reply to
John

Can't remember where I saw this (possibly in a catalog) but you can use

1x1 cedar to make just a skelet> Hello,
Reply to
Mark