Need info on leather /fabric sofas

Hi

Need info on leather /fabric sofas

We are thinking of buying a new sofa set. We are thinking of beige, light cream.

We have 2 kids 12 and 9. Both like to munch snacks on the sofa while watching TV.

What are your thoughts re cleaning light colored leather from snack stains ?

What are the main drawbacks to leather sofas ? or pluses compared to fabric ? besides price

Does leather get stretched and look saggy(creases and waves) in a short while ? Does it get crumpled looking ?

I am worried that in the showroom the leather sofas looks good but I do not what it will look like in a year or so ? Because I have never had one.So I have no experience.

Thanks Tina

Reply to
tinaspeilberg1

Not to answer your questions directly but keep in mind that not all leather is the same. Some is thin (split) and will have less longevity, non-stretchability, etc. than thicker. Naturally, better grades cost more. Much more. Again, I don't know for sure but would guess that you would be getting split hides in anything costing less than $2,000, maybe more.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I have 6 from 2 to 13.

Our leather sofas didn't have any stain problems, but they're black.

I'm getting ready to recover the cloth seat cushions on our diningroom set because they're stained beyond recognition. The leather gets dirtyfied from time to time and we clean it. Nothing soaks in.

We were worried about the dog poking holes in the leather with her claws, but it hasn't been a problem in several years. No holes yet. Oh, dog hair is less of a problem with the leather.

I think it maybe has a few more wrinkles than when it was new, but they don't look bad. I bet people would pay extra to have their leather distressed to look like ours does now.

Leather has definitly been a winner in our house. And our children are extremely destructive.

I had light beige leather seats in a vw passat back in 1996. When I had the car for about two months, my oldest daughter got a hold of a black ball point pen and drew pictures all over them before we stopped her. I was convinced that they were ruined. It cleaned up perfectly with acetone.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning