Need info on a hand drill

Not a gloat, since it likely doesn't amount to much:
I bought what I think is a hand drill in a flea market, and am interested in finding out (i) possible value, and (ii) a possible source of bits. Yes, I did a Google search, and am usually fairly good at that, but came up empty. Any knowledgeable advice appreciated.
It should be a drill, not a screwdriver, since the spiral goes only one way. Here's the details:
Yankee No. 42 North Bros. Mfg. Co. PHILA PA. USA Pat: JAN 25 - 98 OCT 9 - 00 FEB 10 - 20
Since the last patent date was 1920, I don't know the manufacturing date past that, but it's still old enough to have antique value, and is in pretty good condition.
Bill.
Is it metal? Shiny? Its prob. a Yankee screwdriver. The stroke will either turn a screw, or a drill bit.
-- KB "Change is the law of life, and those who look only to the past and present are certain to miss the future."

Thanks, and yes, it's metal, shiny, except for the wooden handle. But I thought a screwdriver had spirals in two directions. I know that later, larger models do, and gave an old large brass one to a friend. This little item is only about 9 1/2" long, the handle for one handed use. I suggested a possible drill due to the spiral being in only the one direction, the return then being just loose, not driving.
Bill.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

IMNSHO, but at least you can still get bits ("drill points") for it.
As far as value, these show up on Ebay all the time. Search for push drill.
BTW, it's an extremely handy tool. Great for screw starting holes. Not so good for through holes, as it tends to "punch" through.
On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:53:00 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Not so interested in value as usefulness. Where would those bits be available please [other than eBay]?
Thanks!
Bill.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

were available a few years ago, so you might still find the odd set at an out of the way hardware store.
If you want to see what the set looked like, look at:
www.tools-plus.com/sta04-069.html
Amazon has a newer (i.e., junk) Stanley push drill that comes with 4 drill points. Are they available separately? I don't know.
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004UDKR/103-1965820- 5519869?v=glance
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

http://www.antiqnet.com/category%2Ctools-39.html
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work
On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:44:39 -0700, "Chipper Wood"

Thanks, but the one I have isn't showm and is older. Also, the bits look like the same design as those for larger, more modern Yankee screwdrivers. What concerns me there is the chuck. With the newer screwdriver I have, and those I've seen, the chuck collet pulls down to accept the bit and springs back to lock it in. In the one I have [last patent 1920] the handle is wood, and the collet screws and unscrews to lock onto the bit by tightening onto a small ball bearing.
Bill.
don't ask CS what HE thinks a "hand drill" is.
dave