Need HVLP Advice

I've got a couple of smaller cabinets to build, as well as a couple of corner cabinets, and possibly, kitchen cabinets. A couple of these are painted. I've never used HVLP before so I apologize if the questions are a bit basic.

Can you effectively spray primer and color inside of cabinets without :

  1. all the paint blowing back in your face
  2. not having problems with runs, since your in kind of close quarters, trying to hit all the corners and crevices.
  3. runing dry, tilting the gun all around, which i guess you could solve by simply buying the gun that has a seperate pot.

Can most of these guns shoot clear lacquer, poly, etc, as well as paint ?

thanks.

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Better than doing the inside after the cabinet is built --

Do the inside before putting the cabinet together. Just remember to mask off the areas to be glued beforehand. If there are no nail holes to fill, do the outside now too.

If you will have nail holes to fill, then do the outside after it is = built.

--=20

PDQ

-- =20 "Jim Bailey" wrote in message = news:eFyHd.3647$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... | I've got a couple of smaller cabinets to build, as well as a couple of | corner cabinets, and possibly, kitchen cabinets. A couple of these are | painted. I've never used HVLP before so I apologize if the questions = are a | bit basic. |=20 | Can you effectively spray primer and color inside of cabinets = without : |=20 | 1. all the paint blowing back in your face | 2. not having problems with runs, since your in kind of close = quarters, | trying to hit all the corners and crevices. | 3. runing dry, tilting the gun all around, which i guess you could = solve by | simply buying the gun that has a seperate pot. |=20 | Can most of these guns shoot clear lacquer, poly, etc, as well as = paint ? |=20 | thanks. |=20 | jim |=20 |

Reply to
PDQ

A high quality 3 or 4 stage HVLP can handle pretty much anything you wish to spray, provided you've spent the money on the appropriate needles, tips, and caps. You don't NEED a separate pot, except for production style spraying. Using a small cup, you'd be amazed at how well you can cover the interior of all but the smallest cabinets. Kitchen cabinets are large enough to "get in there" with the 1 pt cup.

Trying to spraying all of the products you mentioned with ONE "do it all" needle/tip/cap set-up is bound to lead to frustration.

Leaving the back off of a cabinet will help immensely in getting good coverage on the inside without wearing a lot of the finish yourself. :) Install the back when you've finished applying the finish.

David

Jim Bailey wrote:

Reply to
David

1 - yes 2 - yes 3 - yes but it depends on the nozzle/needle, air output, and viscosity for latex
Reply to
Mike G