Need help with shaper (new tool)... yikes!

I need a little help getting started with a new shaper and power feeder that I just purchased. I'm in the Chicago area, and hope to find someone who can show me how to run my new shaper.... I know this must sound pretty weird to some of you. I have most all of the other tools, but this new shaper really has me a little nervous about just sliding a few boards into it and learning by the seat of my pants. I just put a ~2.5"Jesada Cutter head on it, and hit the power button, and almost froze when I heard the WHIRRING sound. I then tried to muster up enough courage to have my power feeder push a 2x4 piece of soft pine through it.... I figured that I better ask for a little help on this one. So... is there either a woodworking group, and individual, or even a small company in the greater Chicago area that might be willing to show me how to use the shaper, either at my place or theirs? I'd be very grateful, and would be glad to treat them to a good steak and a couple of beers afterwards. If there is a woodworkers club in the Chicago area, I'd like to find out how to get involved in that also. Thanks in advance (once again), Matt

Matt
What part of Chicago are you on? I am designing a home in Lake Forest right now and come down there once a week.
Tom Plamann www.plamann.com
Thanks Tom, I am in Berwyn, just south of Oak Park, not too far from Lake Forest. I am using the Maggi Steff 2048 feeder on a Grizzley 3 HP shaper. I am available at any time. I can either come to your site if you have a shaper and feeder set up there, or you can come here if that would work out better. The drive is a little less than 40 miles and probably an hour's drive. Looking forward to it ! Thanks, Matt
Tom Plamann wrote:

Matt
Email me your phone number and address and I will try to connect with you the next time I come down.
Tom Plamann
Hey Tom,
If you are looking into visiting shops for the benefit of us hobbiests, I'll fly you up to the Toronto area so I can have the chance to pick your brain. Ah heck, you're probably too busy, why don't you just write a book and I'll buy it.
Blair

Matt,
I am just a little of a drive....take a look at my web site.....www.americansycamoreretreat.com I would be glad to spend some time with you at no charge if you would like to drive down to the school. If you are interested call or e-mail me and we will set up a date. Thanks, Mike from American Sycamore ps What shaper and feeder do you own?
Thank you very much, Mike. I just visited your web site and was very impressed. According to Mapquest, it looks like you are 223 mile from Chicago. That would be about a 4 hour drive for me. I appreciate your generous offer very much. I just bought the Grizzley Model G1026 shaper with a G4227 sliding table. I also have a Maggi Steff 2048 stock feeder installed on it. Thanks. Matt
Mike at American Sycamore wrote:

Matt Zach wrote:

I can imagine. I don't know what kind of critter you bought, but if it's anything like the industrial stuff I've seen demonstrated, you have a cutter the size of a beer can spinning at about 50 billion RPM, and it keeps running for 15 minutes after you turn it off. Your caution is probably well-founded. :)
says...

Check out either Lonnie Bird's "The Shaper Book", or Cliff and Holtz's "Shaper Handbook" Both of these books provide great detail on proper operation of a shaper and spend a great deal of time explaining safe shaper operation.
Hi folks, I just got Lonnie's book, actually both his shaper book and his bandsaw book, and I did finally push a little pine through it tonight, but I am still in shock and awe of this machine. I know that once I see someone putting it through its paces, I'll pick up on it fairly quickly. I felt the same way when I bought my first table saw. I have a 3.5 HP router in a router table that I use, so I think I will grasp the shapers basic usage fairly quickly, but I am a total novice to the power stock feeder, and also want to learn as much as I can about what the shaper is really capable of doing. I have received some awesome offers of help, which I plan on taking full advantage of, on this current request for help. I am very excited to have the chance to learn from these generous craftsmen. I hope I can 'pay it forward' someday soon. The Wreck is really a great place to be a part of, isn't it? Matt