Need help with shaper (new tool)... yikes!

I need a little help getting started with a new shaper and power feeder that I just purchased. I'm in the Chicago area, and hope to find someone who can show me how to run my new shaper.... I know this must sound pretty weird to some of you. I have most all of the other tools, but this new shaper really has me a little nervous about just sliding a few boards into it and learning by the seat of my pants. I just put a ~2.5"Jesada Cutter head on it, and hit the power button, and almost froze when I heard the WHIRRING sound. I then tried to muster up enough courage to have my power feeder push a 2x4 piece of soft pine through it.... I figured that I better ask for a little help on this one. So... is there either a woodworking group, and individual, or even a small company in the greater Chicago area that might be willing to show me how to use the shaper, either at my place or theirs? I'd be very grateful, and would be glad to treat them to a good steak and a couple of beers afterwards. If there is a woodworkers club in the Chicago area, I'd like to find out how to get involved in that also. Thanks in advance (once again), Matt

Reply to
Matt Zach

-.snip

Matt

What part of Chicago are you on? I am designing a home in Lake Forest right now and come down there once a week.

Tom Plamann

Tom Plamann

Matt,

I am just a little of a drive....take a look at my web site.....www.americansycamoreretreat.com I would be glad to spend some time with you at no charge if you would like to drive down to the school. If you are interested call or e-mail me and we will set up a date. Thanks, Mike from American Sycamore ps What shaper and feeder do you own?

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

Reply to
Matt Zach

Thank you very much, Mike. I just visited your web site and was very impressed. According to Mapquest, it looks like you are

223 mile from Chicago. That would be about a 4 hour drive for me. I appreciate your generous offer very much. I just bought the Grizzley Model G1026 shaper with a G4227 slid> > I need a little help getting started with a new shaper and power feeder
Reply to
Matt Zach

I can imagine. I don't know what kind of critter you bought, but if it's anything like the industrial stuff I've seen demonstrated, you have a cutter the size of a beer can spinning at about 50 billion RPM, and it keeps running for 15 minutes after you turn it off. Your caution is probably well-founded. :)

Reply to
Silvan

snip

Matt

Email me your phone number and address and I will try to connect with you the next time I come down.

Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom Plamann

Check out either Lonnie Bird's "The Shaper Book", or Cliff and Holtz's "Shaper Handbook" Both of these books provide great detail on proper operation of a shaper and spend a great deal of time explaining safe shaper operation.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
Matt Zach

Hey Tom,

If you are looking into visiting shops for the benefit of us hobbiests, I'll fly you up to the Toronto area so I can have the chance to pick your brain. Ah heck, you're probably too busy, why don't you just write a book and I'll buy it.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Chesterton