Need help with saws

Got a chance to maybe pick up an old Rockwell table saw and/or a late 1960's Craftsman table saw.

What should I be looking for? I haven't gotten anymore details as of yet. I'm hoping that the Craftsman is a belt drive.

Thanks for any help.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

Go to oldwwmachines.com and snoop around through their archives. They probably have pictures of the model(s) you're looking at. There are some very knowlegeble friendly folks on that forum but do your homework and hit the archives before you seek their advise. You should find loads of old posts about how to check out used equipment.

David

Reply to
Bannerstone

Without any particulars the best answer is, buy the better of the two.

But I don't really feel like I did much.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Are you a machine tinker or a woodworker? If you enjoy wrenching on equipment and like the challenge of re-building tools and equipment, then yes go for the old tools. If you are more interested in woodworking then buy your self a new Unisaw or Jet or General.......good luck Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

I'm a tinkerer by necessity.

For some of us, it simply is not an option to buy a new Unisaw for my hobby, I wish it was. I resurrected an older Craftsman tablesaw that I got for $25. some rust removal, a good cleaning, lube and a few new parts were all I needed to have a very nice saw. MUCH better that the screaming, plastic, wobbly POS that was my other option. If I had insisted on a Jet, Grizzly or Heaven forbid, a Unisaw, I'd still be dreaming and not making sawdust.

Dan

Reply to
SuperSpaz