Need Help with my Freud FT2000E Router

I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2" collet sticks when I try to remove a bit. The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.
I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.
I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really appreciate it.
TomH
Tom H wrote:

come away from the nut,it doesn't have a spring washer hope this helps . Frank

My old Bosch will do that at times. Try tapping the router bit shank with the wrench a few times.
Tom H wrote:

This will happen almost every time the router is left alone for a period of time,sometimes due to tempreture change or the thin film of lubricant on the collet keeping it in the shaft.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Any tools that set for a while will lock together. If you unscrew the net several turns and tap the nut with a block of wood, hitting towards the motor, it should free the collet from the female sleeve.
-Lee
Tom H wrote:

I have the FT2000E and there IS a snap ring inside the nut to hold the collet in place on mine.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Tom,
Something that no one else has mentioned is that you may have seated the bit to deep in the collet. As others have already said, clean (mineral spirits will work) then spray with some WD40 and wipe off excess. Next, go to the borg and spend 10 cents (probably $1 by now) on a 1/2" rubber "O" ring. Rove collet and place the "O" ring at the bottom. You may need 2 but the "O" ring will keep your router bits from bottoming out.
Also, when the collet nut is first loosened, it first takes the tension off the collet sleeve and as you keep turning it, it will spin loose for a turn or two then it lifts the tapered collet slightly to loosen the bit. So removing a router bit is a two stage process on the Freud (and probably others). The nut is supposed to stay on the collet.
Bob S.

Make that "Remove" - not Rove..........long day....
Bob S.

My problem is that the nut doesn't stay on the collet. I can't get an answer from my local service center how it stays on the collet.

Went to my local Freud service center, they don't stock any Freud parts, just order them in. They couldn't help because their schematic doesn't show a spring clip holding the collet to the nut and without one in stock they weren't sure what held it in. They suggested I call Freud. That's my next step today. ---------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Freud directly. I had the same router, which died. I sent it back to them; they sent me a new (probably reconditioned) one.
Steve