Need help, installing microwave over range - cupboard resize

Hello, Here is a picture of my situation. I want to take the hood out and install a over the range microwave. But given the current situation, I don't think there enough room once a microwave is installed. So I was wondering if it's possible to shorten the cabinet that would be above the microwave. I was thinking of cutting about six inches off near the bottom of the cabinet doors (above the hood), and then routing a new joint. Here is a picture that I think will help explain. I want to basically take out the area where the blue line is.

thoughts?

Reply to
smith_bp101

I am sure it can be done, it seems you have no other choice. Those Fan/microwave combos are nice, but a pain LOL

Reply to
bdeditch

Reply to
Howard

Howard, thanks for the reply, but I'd like to keep the same height for all the cabinets...I think it wouldn't look right with only this one raised. It would be pretty noticeable. Thanks though.

Reply to
smith_bp101

I was about to agree with Howard that that might be your best bet, however you and the Mrs. are the ones who have to look at it.

I've seen that sort of layout (staggered heights) in many of the upscale kitchen displays. I think though that 1) most have been a little less dramatic (i.e. not quite as much difference as it appears you'd need),

2)they trim out the tops of the cabinets with crown molding, and 3)the taller cabinet will be mounted to appear (if not, in fact, be deeper) to be deeper, i.e. will stand slightly proud of the others.

Your plan should work provided you work carefully so as to preserve as much of the original finish as possible.

Good luck and be sure to show us photos of the "after" once you've dissected that cabinet and done your plastic surgery on it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The cabinet itself shouldn't be too bad. The doors are going to be tricky. I would cut the bottom joints close to but around the joint itself. Then carefully try to remove the remains of the vertical pieces without damaging the bottom rail. If you screw up that rail then you need a panel routing set that perfectly matches the existing profile to make a new bottom rail. At that point it's probably easier to make new frames from scratch. If you can save the original then all you have to rout is the outside bottoms of the verticals, which you can sand to match if need be.

You should have a plan B ready in case it gets screwed up. Make new doors from scratch? Replace the cabinet with open shelves?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Normally we set upper cabinets 18" above the lower cabinets. When we set up for over the range microwaves we normally leave another

15" above the range. With most models, this will make the front of the unit flush with the bottom of the cabinets on each side and still be a legal height from the range surface. On occasion we will leave 18" (instead of 15") for the microwave if the cook is taller. If these are manufactured cabinets and screwed everywhere, as others have suggested, raising the cabinet will be the cheapest and easiest way to go as you won't have to re-make doors. We stagger the heights of cabinets quite often in new homes. Another solution (if theses are manufactured) would be to just order a smaller cabinet from the same manufacturer. This would solve the door problem and would also eliminate having to do any finish work. As for trying to use what you have, if I were doing it I would remove the current cabinet and try to salvage the rails and stiles. Then I would make a new box and put a front on it made from the salvaged (stained) rails and stiles. Of course, I would still have to re-make the doors. While I had it unscrewed, I would push it up 3" or 6" (whatever you need) and have my wife take a look at it. :)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

That's exactly what I did with mine. Just find a bit to match, and a little dab of stain and it looked like they was built that way. Just be sure and measure again to make sure you cut enough off the first time, or don't cut too much off. It'll be fine.

Reply to
Tim Taylor