Need help choosing a circular saw.

Got this set up over the holidays from Lee Valley

My circular saw is an older Mid 90's Crasftsman industrial model, It really dosen't fit the guide plate. Does anybody have any input for a new saw that will work with this setup. Thanks

Reply to
Tvfarmer

Valley

and My circular saw is an older Mid 90's Crasftsman industrial model,

I'm honestly not trying to sound like a smart ass, but take that thing back to the store. Buy yourself a piece of straight aluminum and 2 clamps. I'm right handed so I prefer my circular saws to have the blade on the left so I can see the blade, the guide and nothing hits my clamps on my straight edge. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Tue, Jan 1, 2008, 3:17pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lou) doth adviseth: I'm honestly not trying to sound like a smart ass, but take that thing back to the store. Buy yourself a piece of straight aluminum and 2 clamps. I'm right handed so I prefer my circular saws to have the blade on the left so I can see the blade, the guide and nothing hits my clamps on my straight edge.

Can't argue against that.

But, if you insist on keeping it, and I was you, I'd either modify the saw base to fit, or add a wood base to the saw that would fit. But in real-life, I'd just do what Lou said. Still using the B&D circular saw I bought in about 1975-6. =A0I'm not really cheap, but believe in using it until it breaks, THEN replace it.

JOAT If you can read this you're in range.

Reply to
J T

In keeping with the wreck tradition of encouraging new tool purchases no matter if the justification is, shall we say: thin, check out

For a bunch of contractor-oriented reviews. They've reviewed 7 1/4, 8

1/4, sidewiders and worm drives within the last few years.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Take your new guide plate in hand and go down to your favorite tool store. Find a saw from Makita, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Hitachi, or Bosch, maybe even Rigid, that fits the plate. Pick by your favorite color, or balance or the way it fits your hand. Stay away from Black & Decker, Craftsman and Ryobi. Any of the saws in the first bunch will do a good job for you. There's room for argument about which is best, but they are all fine saws.

DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Reply to
DonkeyHody