Need help choosing 4 bench-top power tools

I'm in the market for a miter saw, a drill press, a band saw, and a belt/disc sander. I'll be using them for home projects - Nothing with a high level of difficulty though. I went out shopping today at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears and found the following that caught my eye:

Belt/Disc Sanders: Ryobi BD4600 $99 Craftsman 231536 $120

10" Drill Presses: Ryobi DP101 $99 Craftsman Z1909 $120

9" Band Saws: Ryobi BS901 $99 Delta BS100 $99 Craftsman 21413 $120

10" Miter Saws: Ryobi TS1352DXL $149 Rigid MS1065LZ $199 Craftsman 21253 $199

All the miter saws I looked at have laser guides. However, I don't know for certain that I even need one. I will tell you I've never owned a miter saw before (or any of the other tools listed), so I'm no expert. I'd appreciate comments not only on the models I've listed but also others you may know about. Responses can be posted here or sent directly to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Randy Anderson

I'm in the market for four new bench-top power tools, none of which I have ever owned before: A miter saw, a band saw, a drill press, and a belt/disc sander. I went out shopping today and the following models caught my eye:

Belt/disc Sanders: Ryobi BD4600 $99 Craftsman 21536 $120

10" Drill Presses: Ryobi DP101 $99 Craftsman 21909 $120

9" Band Saws: Ryobi BS901 $99 Delta BS100 $99 Craftsman $120

10" Miter Saws: Ryobi TS1352DXL $149 Rigid MS1065LZ $199 Craftsman 21253 $199

All the miter saws listed have laser guides, though I don't know that it's actually necessary to have one. Essentially I would like to own good, reliable tools, but I'm not a professional and I won't be using them every day, so I don't need the top of the line (and most expensive) models. I'd appreciate hearing opinions not only on the models listed but also on other suggestions you might have. Thanks.

Reply to
Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

A 10" drill press is fairly limited in size - only 5" from post to bit. One you omitted, and that I have is the Delta DP350. It is a 12" 1/3HP variable speed - with a knob rather than belt changes. It IS Chinese, but so are they all. It works fairly well, other than the pulley which failed on all the early models - and has been redesigned. I have cut mortises, sanded, drilled 1/2" steel and forstner'ed plenty of holes in wood. It's OK for the money... I picked one up for $180.

Pretty poor, troublesome units all the way around...

If I were very limited in budget, I would also consider the Ryobi TS1340 for $100.

The laser guides in the listed models are sort-of useless, a marketing gimmick. They are non-adjustable, don't mark the wrap of the board, and are all a bit off. In other words, they don't mark the actual cut line, but somewhere around 1/8" to 1/32" off. They also only 'light' when the blade is spinning. They simply replace the standard arbor washer with this laser thingy... You can buy one and install it on ANY saw if you really HAVE to have one...

The Crapsman has a taller fence and a padded handle - good. But the bevel scale is hard to read. And it IS a Crapsman...

The Ridgid is loud as hell, the bevel and miter scales suck, but has a tall fence.

The Ryobi TS1352DXL is heavy, scales are fair, fairly quiet. The Ryobi TS1340 is lighter, slightly noisier, scales are better. Both have short fences.

FWIW, Greg

Reply to
Greg G.

All of the brand names you've listed are low end, low grade, low quality pieces that produce low quality projects. If you're going to build a deck then what you've listed will suffice but if you want to make furniture you'd be way better off buying used machines such as an Oliver Table Saw, Band Saw, and floor mounted Disk Sander. Oliver is top of the line machinery.

I've been a woodworker since my youth and have used nearly every brand name there is and nothing on earth can compare to Oliver when it comes to table saws, band saws and such.

You should mention the purpose for which you intend to use the machines you want so someone can better point you in the right direction... I'm guessing that you are not into precision work since none of the machines you mention are made to do precision work.

Sears is the bottom of the heap, a step lower is anything, repeat, anything made by Ryobi. Porter Cable is shamefully low grade. Delta is no better. All are made for intermitant use by the weekend woodworker... if thats your purpose ( which seems a good guess ) than such as you've named will get you by for homeowner type non-professional jobs.

Reply to
oakman

I took $125 and bought for a refurb'd Delta 12" benchtop. With drill presses - you'll find out that Size Matters more often than not.

Got the Delta. Am pleased with it for what it did/does.

I'd say grab a cheaper Delta ShopMaster series.

I haven't found the overwhelming need for a laser. I'd take the $$ that I'd spend on the laser-doo-dad and apply it to getting a bigger/better non-laser'd miter saw.

Table Saw???

Reply to
mttt