Need help accessing this newsgroup

Page 2 of 3
damian penney wrote:

Then you don't know nearly as much as you think you do. USENET is a distributed service. All posts do not appear on all servers and sometimes there is propagation delay so that a response arrives before the post to which it is a response. If you knew as much about USENET as you claim then you would be aware of this.
Now, you're likely going to come back with some crap about how it never happened to you and anybody to whom it has happened needs to get a reliable news provider. Well, that's nice but everyone doesn't have that kind of choice and it does happen to a lot of people who are less fortunate than you.

If you think that Google is a decent interface then you again throw your claims of vast experience into the crapper.
--
--John

We're not saying you're not communicating well because you post from google, we're saying you're not communicating well because first you posted with no context, then you seemed to show a glimmering of a clue by actually including context (but with no attribution), and now you're freaking _top posting_.

No, you're intentionally missing his, and my, and the other Dave's point.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Um no i'm not actually...
Anyway, pleasant as this has been I can see continuing this is pointless and a waste of everybodies time. You've been incredibly rude and I hope you don't talk to folk in real life like you've expressed yourself to me here.

Based on?
What the HELL does that have to do with you top-posting? You've confused that with _threading_ now, FFS.

Whatever. <plonk>. Problem solved. Buh-bye now.
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:52:39 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Took you long enough - I did on day 2 of his appearance...
- Doug

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. There seemed to be a glimmer of a clue there for a bit, that one time where he nearly posted in a useful way.
Davey Hinz wrote:

top posting?
This is top posting. Some people are rather anal about it and treat it as an Offense Upon Creation. I find bottom posting easier to read, but really don't care one way or the other if appropriate context AND snipping is given/done when someone posts in a thread.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:30:05 -0600, Dave Balderstone

It's annoying, because now that we have context, the answer is above the thing it's answering, rather than after as it would be in a real conversation. But I'm suspecting he won't get it, and I really don't care.

Dave Balderstone wrote:

FWIW, I usually plonk people who whine about top posting on general principle, but in this case since the idiot doing it not only top posts but then goes on about how quoting context is a waste of bandwidth and then includes the entire text of the post to which he is responding below his top post I think that reaming him out is in order. And especially when he claims to have ten years experience on USENET but doesn't know the definition of "top posting".

--
--John

Actually... no. You should not presume why I responded with what I did, or attempt to associate a motive that I have not articulated. You have at best a 50/50 chance of getting it right and you didn't. I have no problem at all with people who post from google. My comments were strictly related to not including quoted text, which has been a usenet standard from day one. So - your bottom line is wrong.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
damian penney wrote:

No, it's also used by idiots who think they can hide behind it.

If you don't think quoting helps then why do you do so much of it, especially when you top-post?
news.individual.net is free and can be accessed from anywhere. There are many free newsreaders in addition to Outlook Express. So why use a slow, clumsy interface such as Google?
<quoted material whose context has been rendered irrelevant by top-posting snipped>
--
--John
I connect to it via a web interface at http://www.diybanter.com - it i
Sbtypesetter wrote:

When you joined charter.net they gave you some server settings, probably. There should have been a POP, SMPT and NNTP (news) servers. Not knowing what browser you'll be using, I can't tell you the next step. In general, during your browser setup, it'll have a place to name your NNTp/news server, put in whatever they told you. then click on this link: news:rec.woodworking news:rec.crafts.woodturning news:alt.binaries.pictures.furniture news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. You may not be able to get all of them, not all ISPs carry all NGs. If the link doesn't work and others do, that's what happened.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Browser?!
On some level, I probably knew that, but it just sunk in. You use a web browser as a newsreader. I find that baffling for some reason. rn, Free Agent, Agent, KNode, some other ones in between I've forgotten about... I've always used a newsreader for reading news. Doing otherwise just strikes me as plain silly.
Next you're going to tell me you use a newsreader for reading email too, instead of an email program.
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:24:46 -0500, Silvan

agent has a mail client built in. never used it though, so I can't say if it's any good.
On 28 Jan 2005 16:03:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Sbtypesetter) wrote:

You have a new account through a new ISP [Internet provider]. Ask the people who are now taking your money how to access newsgroups [usenet]. And go to them with any other little problem you can't easily resolve, such as setup if you have difficulty. ... I do, and I have LOTS of experience.
Sbtypesetter wrote:

I believe their news server is:
nntp.charter.net
makes it

I'll bet it is - it answers a ping.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Sbtypesetter wrote:

I google, just because I like to check it at lunch at work, where NNTP is blocked. Sucks as far as checking new messages, though, and once a thread gets too long, it's nearly impossible to respond to every message that is replied to you, since you have to find them all.