Need help accessing this newsgroup

I'm FINALLY dumping AOL. Won't take the time to rage. My new account (rbuchanan snipped-for-privacy@charter.net) makes it difficult (ok, impossible for my pea-brain). to get here. How do the rest of you access this n.g.. Thanks!

-Rick

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

Subscribe to news.individual.net and download Forte Free Agent. Get connectivity through charter, and config Forte to point to news.individual.net as it's NNTP server. No muss, no fuss.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Or head to Google Groups.

Reply to
damian penney

I connect to it via a web interface at

- it i

reliable and easy to use

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

-Rick When you joined charter.net they gave you some server settings, probably. There should have been a POP, SMPT and NNTP (news) servers. Not knowing what browser you'll be using, I can't tell you the next step. In general, during your browser setup, it'll have a place to name your NNTp/news server, put in whatever they told you. then click on this link: news:rec.woodworking news:rec.crafts.woodturning news:alt.binaries.pictures.furniture news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. You may not be able to get all of them, not all ISPs carry all NGs. If the link doesn't work and others do, that's what happened.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

You have a new account through a new ISP [Internet provider]. Ask the people who are now taking your money how to access newsgroups [usenet]. And go to them with any other little problem you can't easily resolve, such as setup if you have difficulty. ... I do, and I have LOTS of experience.

Reply to
Guess who

news.individual.net ....Who are they? What are they? Why do they provide newsgroup access for free? I'm assuming it's for free since I normally get mine through my own internet provider.

Thanks .

Reply to
Guess who

Among the problems with google groups, is that it (apparently) encourages people to, ahem, reply to posts without including any context. This must be a new change there as it's just started in the last month or so.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A free newsserver, which is fast, highly reliable, and aggressively cancels obvious spam messages. No binaries groups, though, for space reasons.

See above. Did I mention free?

Because the German taxpayers fund them to do so.

Yup. If I was curious about them, I'd point my browser to

and click on "FAQ". Even so, some of the paid newsservers give benefit over ISP- provided servers, if for no other reason than a faster more reliable feed.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I got this from another newsgroup.

In the Google Groups format, its NOT the 'reply' at the bottom of the message you are looking at, as you would think. This option doesn't give you the needed text that you can cut or reply to show up in your post. But if you choose the 'show options' next to the OP name & message header, and you click on 'reply' as the first option listed within, it will give you all the previous message in quoted context that you can reply to line by line or whatever so people know who or what you are replying to.

Of course no one in this group was kind enough to tell me this, rather I had to stumble around with the anal posting police dithering on and on about how stupid blahblahblah until I figured it out myself. Hopefully this will save a few other people from their beratings and rantings. ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I believe their news server is:

nntp.charter.net

Nova

I'll bet it is - it answers a ping.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Any decent news reader allows you to group messages by thread (that's the whole point of the references tag) Google Groups, Thunderbird and lowly Outlook Express can certainly do this. Not to mention the subject really gives you all the context you need in this case. Personally I don't like having to wade through gobs of context to find what the poster actually has to say, usenet isn't email, but I don't find it necessary to complain about those that post that way either. This whole netiquette nannying is getting old, I've been using the net and usenet for over a decade and frankly find it condescending it's as though some folk think the Google Groupers are all newbies.

Reply to
damian penney

Who are you talking to? And how do you make your voice *DO* that?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On some level, I probably knew that, but it just sunk in. You use a web browser as a newsreader. I find that baffling for some reason. rn, Free Agent, Agent, KNode, some other ones in between I've forgotten about... I've always used a newsreader for reading news. Doing otherwise just strikes me as plain silly.

Next you're going to tell me you use a newsreader for reading email too, instead of an email program.

Reply to
Silvan

agent has a mail client built in. never used it though, so I can't say if it's any good.

Reply to
bridger

Comments aimed specifically at Lee Michaels and Dave Hinz, perhaps this link will allow you to see things in context.

damian penney

Are you having a hard time understanding how newsgroups work?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It seems so. He's either unwilling or unable to provide any context to his posts, which suggests he believes usenet exists only on Google.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Wouldn't it be easier, Damian, to _include_ whatever you're answering in your post, instead of including a 3-line URL? You know, like people in Usenet have been doing for, er, years?

Reply to
Dave Hinz