Need help accessing this newsgroup

Page 1 of 3
I'm FINALLY dumping AOL. Won't take the time to rage. My new account (rbuchanan snipped-for-privacy@charter.net) makes it difficult (ok, impossible for my pea-brain). to get here. How do the rest of you access this n.g.. Thanks!
-Rick

Subscribe to news.individual.net and download Forte Free Agent. Get connectivity through charter, and config Forte to point to news.individual.net as it's NNTP server. No muss, no fuss.

news.individual.net ....Who are they? What are they? Why do they provide newsgroup access for free? I'm assuming it's for free since I normally get mine through my own internet provider.
Thanks .

A free newsserver, which is fast, highly reliable, and aggressively cancels obvious spam messages. No binaries groups, though, for space reasons.

See above. Did I mention free?

Because the German taxpayers fund them to do so.

Yup. If I was curious about them, I'd point my browser to http://news.individual.net and click on "FAQ". Even so, some of the paid newsservers give benefit over ISP- provided servers, if for no other reason than a faster more reliable feed.
Or head to Google Groups.

Among the problems with google groups, is that it (apparently) encourages people to, ahem, reply to posts without including any context. This must be a new change there as it's just started in the last month or so.

I got this from another newsgroup.
In the Google Groups format, its NOT the 'reply' at the bottom of the message you are looking at, as you would think. This option doesn't give you the needed text that you can cut or reply to show up in your post. But if you choose the 'show options' next to the OP name & message header, and you click on 'reply' as the first option listed within, it will give you all the previous message in quoted context that you can reply to line by line or whatever so people know who or what you are replying to.
Of course no one in this group was kind enough to tell me this, rather I had to stumble around with the anal posting police dithering on and on about how stupid blahblahblah until I figured it out myself. Hopefully this will save a few other people from their beratings and rantings. ;-)
Any decent news reader allows you to group messages by thread (that's the whole point of the references tag) Google Groups, Thunderbird and lowly Outlook Express can certainly do this. Not to mention the subject really gives you all the context you need in this case. Personally I don't like having to wade through gobs of context to find what the poster actually has to say, usenet isn't email, but I don't find it necessary to complain about those that post that way either. This whole netiquette nannying is getting old, I've been using the net and usenet for over a decade and frankly find it condescending it's as though some folk think the Google Groupers are all newbies.

Who are you talking to? And how do you make your voice *DO* that?
djb
--
"There is no hell. There is only France." -- Frank Zappa

Comments aimed specifically at Lee Michaels and Dave Hinz, perhaps this link will allow you to see things in context. http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/6e91895d1321f080/9be5229f3b574bc1?_done=%2F%3F&_doneTitle ck+to+overview&&d#9be5229f3b574bc1

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/6e91895d1321f080/9be5229f3b574bc1?_done=%2F%3F&_doneTitle ck+to+overview&&d#9be5229f3b574bc1 Wouldn't it be easier, Damian, to _include_ whatever you're answering in your post, instead of including a 3-line URL? You know, like people in Usenet have been doing for, er, years?

this
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread ...
in
in
There you go. Now like I said, I personally don't like having to wade through gobs of context to find what the poster has actually contributed. Any decent/modern newsreader allows you to view groups in a threaded manner so in my eyes quoting previous responses is a waste of bandwidth. If you really needed context then in slrn esc-p will find you the parent based on the references tag but lets face it you were just being pedantic and knew quite well the context of my comments. I really don't need a lesson in how to use usenet, I've been using it for over a decade. This is my last post on the subject as quite frankly I'm tired of the childishness that's been displayed here. Shame on you.

Of course. Give a sentence or two, trim the rest. Leave in the "person said thing" line, and you'll have it right.

Quoting the _entire_ previous message, sure. Enough to get an idea, makes communication better.

Actually, no. Sorry, but I don't memorize the contents of every thread I participate in and who is saying what to whom.

Right, so because two of us are trying to explain to you how your posting method interferes with people understanding _your posts_, somehow this is our problem. Got it. The fact that you've been on usenet for more than a decade isn't relevant; there were clueless newbies ten years ago too.
Most people would have noticed, in a decade, that replying with no context interferes with communication.

thread
Usenet is threaded so you don't HAVE to memorize the contents of the entire thread, replys directly reference the post that is being responded to.

posting
this is

than
too.
Oh yes you're really trying to be ever so helpful; lets face it you didn't like the solution I offered the original poster and jumped up on your high horse.