Need gastric reflux platform bed. Can you help?

I'm 48 yr old man and suffer from gastric reflux.
Elevating my bed head by say 10: helps a lot
Problems with this are that at end of night I've slid down mattress and mattress has slid down box springs
Everything has to be "pulled" back up in AM.
I'm not a wood worker but have always like Japanese style Zen like furniture. Very rich woods very simple designs and low to floor
see link
http://tinyurl.com/fvbkf
any ideas on how to design and make a Japanese style platform bed with raised head for use on bedroom floor? maybe only a few inches above floor
It would be better if head can be adjusted to various heights
Id also use an air mattress or foam mattress on frame
Would also be nice if entire thing can be easily taken apart such as for a college student who may move furniture twice yearly.... to school in fall and to home in spring.
Advice?
Mother-in-law has the same problem and I elevated her bed probably 6" - not as steep as you're doing. This doesn't involve woodworking but go to a medical supply store and pick up a "wedge" type of cushion. They come in different thicknesses and typically cover 1/4 of the bed - under your back and shoulders. They have a slip-on cover, come in different firmness levels and made from allergy-free material as I recall. These are a lot better quality than the similar looking wedge pillows/supports that you find at Wally world.
Just a thought,
Bob S.

I want to build a bed as well tho
Okay - forget all the above.

You admire the design features of Japanese styling so design one yourself. You're not a woodworker so present your design to a couple of different shops and farm out the construction. I have used the the wedges that Bob speaks of with many clients and with great success. This means that the bed could be constructed to a lesser angle thus at least limiting the problems that gravity is giving you. The wedge would make up the greater part of the angle. Best of luck.

My doctor has advised against any 'wedges"
Says the bed itself "must" be raised at head end
Well making a bed at the same angle that you're using now means that gravity will still work the same. Draw it out and unless you drive some stakes into the mattress to hold you and everything else back from sliding down, the only other thing I can think of are magnets. Lee Valley sells some good ones. I figure one good rare earth magnet about 3' in diameter should do it.
So while you're waiting for the magnet or whittling some stakes - why don't you place some riser blocks under the feet of the headboard until you find a height that works for you and one where you aren't curled up against the footboard in the morning. Ask your doctor "why" not the wedge. We're talking about a wedge that is half the length of the mattress and half as wide and that's what in the hell they're used for.
But you want to build a bed - then have at it. You asked for suggestions - you got them it looks like but you didn't like the replies so go to your library and start doing some research.
Bob S.

The shoulders just need to be above the hips. I can't think of anything wrong with a wedge unless it is only elevating the head or causing back problems.
If your reflux is bad enough that you need to modify your bed, you should consider talking to a surgeon that treats reflux and get information about having it fixed.
http://www.umm.edu/general_surgery/nissen_fundo.html
Your doctor should be able to recommend someone you could see in your community.
-Steve
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:05:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Try a different doctor?
I can't really address your bed problem, but as someone who spent more than 10 years dealing with severe reflux I've been through all the bed elevation and wedge stuff. I was on the most potent medication they could find and a strict diet and it still wasn't working. I was ready to considersurgery. At that point I was diagnosed with diabetes and went on a low-carb diet. I have lost 50 pounds and now sleep on a flat bed, take no meds and can eat tomatoes and drink coffee again. I don't know your condition, but when they say that overweight is a common cause of reflux I'm inclined to believe them.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Agree
good point
I will lose weight and see what happens
Maybe I wont need to elevate bed at all after that?
I'm 48..... 5'11" and 210 lbs
I "probably" should weigh 170lbs?
On 4/14/2006 4:06 PM snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net mumbled something about the following:

Damn, I'm 46, 6'0" and 235 lbs. at 170 lbs I'ld look like a frackin bean pole. Even when I was in the best condition of my life, weight lifting and 5-8% body fat, I had a 29" waist and weighed in between 185 and 190. I doubt I'll ever see close to 30" ever again.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Well I have a slight build...small bone structure
On 4/14/2006 4:44 PM snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net mumbled something about the following:

Damn govt BMI says 190 is overweight for me. I have no intention of ever getting below 190. 200 is more my ideal weight.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:06:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Well, you're only two inches shorter than I am, but 85 pounds lighter than I was, so I'm not sure the weight would be as big a factor for you. I was mostly just boasting :-)
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com